BETA 53A Dealing with clear and present dangers

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by OddProphet, Aug 12, 2016.

1. OddProphet

OddProphet Member

In my latest colony, I landed on the edge between a wide, sweeping savanna and densely forested hills. Immediately southwest of my spawning position, there were multiple rich nodes of rhyolite, hematite, native gold and sulphur. Nestled in-between these bounties were edifices of dark stone that squirmed in the shadows like eldritch land mines. This wasn't my first tangle with REDACTED, so I knew what would happen if I sent an extraction team to recover the minerals.

Thinking back, was the placement of the REDACTED intentional? Did they plant themselves there to lure in supple flesh and fertile minds? I suppose it ultimately doesn't matter (aside from me having words with the people responsible for this), because I had a heartless plan.

Step 1: Send the naturalist to determine the extent of the potential gain of the mine.

Step 2: Construct additional housing near the mine and stock it with unfortunates.

Step 3: Form new immigrants into mining squad, assign all other overseers to workshops, and send the miners to dig.

Step 4: Send redcoats to clean up.

I realize that this is shocking behavior by many standards, but you can't make brass cogs without sending lots of ore into the purifying fire of eldritch might.

(Edit: spelling)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Well, did it work?

3. OddProphet

OddProphet Member

Beautifully. The extraction team was destroyed, and the redcoats died almost to a man, but their successors would be armed with Leyden pistols thanks to the ore and coke recovered from the surface nodes. The gold went to build an altar for the chapel.

tojosan likes this.
  4. Puzzlemaker

Puzzlemaker Member

The best possible outcome! Promotions for everyone who lived!

5. OddProphet

OddProphet Member

Sort of. The NCO turned into a collaborator for the fishmen, offering tender flesh and fertile minds to its seaborne masters. Sort of a promotion.

tojosan likes this.
  6. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Are they that useful, I'd always go for the jazeil rifles before but logistically now carbines should be an excellent option.

7. OddProphet

OddProphet Member

They set opponents on fire, which is good enough.

8. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Yeah, they are useful for DoT damage and crowd control. I usually have one team of Leyden pistol wielders, with the rest being carbine users for straight up damage.