BETA 53 BETA 53: A JUNCTURE MOST UNNATURAL

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iucounu

iucounu Member

Basically (1) for me. Just didn't realise I could do it. So it's like bric-a-brac, which makes things more flexible.

2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

It's a great day when the steppe and I suppose desert become the obvious Do Not Pick options....

DaCrAzYmOfO likes this.
  3. Unforked

Unforked Member

The ceramics workshop combined with several mineshafts actually feels like an exploit really. Just fully staff your shop and churn out level 1 trunks, plenty of bricks for level 2 trunks, and piles of glass for bricabrac to your heart's content.

I have a hunch mines will be changed soon though...

mikail 001, DaCrAzYmOfO and Noratoxin like this.
  4. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

It represents reality though and it also is a good challenge for those who want it. It's just weird that tundra is so good in comparison. Tundra should have no tall trees either, I feel. Rich in berries but poor in timber. Maybe bone meal will have more use in the future too, making the steppe better.

Though I would like to know what Alephred thinks about this, since he has actually carefully compared the biomes to each other.

DaCrAzYmOfO likes this.
  5. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

Guys I have an issue that's sorta related to this but not really lol.

I last played when the new version came out and I noticed that 2 different mine resources would appear close together, and when you build a mine in the area it increases the chance you won't get what you want.

I usually see this happen with copper and hematite or iron and coal.

Will there eventually be a fix so that building it on top of a golden pip grant you a higher percentage of X mineral vs just building a mine in the general area?

Also as it is there seems to be no real reason to have a naturalist to perform his action on the node, since we can still obtain the resource either way.

Maybe make it so you get 2/3 blocks of that resource if the naturalist has used his action on the node?

6. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

level1_trunk.jpg
    Daniel worked so hard on this amazing tooltip too :(

(Ps. mining has changes coming.)

Bluebird, tojosan, Unforked and 2 others like this.
  7. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

It's ok, when the trunks first came out, what I did was open the workshop jobs xml to read all the jobs that produced trunks. I think I posted about it too, but eh, people are creatures of habit and the "use logs" was there forever. (Someone else was the first to complain about desert starts though, my own habits there lead to an excess of stone).

8. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I do, if it makes sense to do so.

9. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

I agree with this the most. It's just a good option to have.

10. tojosan

tojosan Member

Not at first. You have to overcome a good bit of work to get there if there's no clay handy.

11. Manamoo

Manamoo Member

I think the upkeep thing is more of a making the game convoluted and taking away from the fun stuff like getting attacked by some horrid monster...or having a cult form...the Lovecraft stuff...the FUN stuff...the upkeep just makes it more like work...that's what I've been reading and seeing...and feeling. I kind of liked it before it broke...someone would go over and fix it. It would still take the resources...but not the workspace...I think adding upkeep and population control all in one fell swoop was a bit much all at once (my opinion) I still love the game....just really don't want to play the game right now...because it's just too convoluted. I have to keep worrying about upkeep trunks, trying to build housing to get more workers and overseers...but that takes the same materials to upkeep the buildings...it makes my head spin...I get the concepts...I liked the housing thing...a lot...it made sense...the upkeep trunks...just made it no fun...more like a chore...kitchen goes down and whoops....there goes your population...starved to death...

Still really hoping and not giving up hope on you hard working gents...but there's been a LOT on upkeep on several forums...and it is frustrating.

12. mikail 001

mikail 001 Member

hmm if mining has changes coming and stone isnt common anymore, then i fear the game will become impossibly hard to play with the upkeep requirements, i hope the developers look into that aspect before making changes to the mines. Thanks

13. Unforked

Unforked Member

Yeah, I've said it a few times before, but upkeep as it stands now isn't difficult, isn't challenging... it's just dull. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing in game than setting up my upkeep infrastructure - even though I can make it efficient.

That's why I hope there are plans to fundamentally change it at some point. I wish I had some decent suggestions, because I do want to be challenged and I know there needs to be a way to keep us on our game - that we should have to keep burning resources at an increasing rate.

Samut likes this.
  14. Manamoo

Manamoo Member

I know you have...and you did find your balance...which is awesome. For me, it feels like I'm being punished...there are so many awesome things (your screeshots prove it!!) that I want to experience...but while I'm a great gamer at some genre's I'm still very new at this kind...but I do LOVE the game...the Lovecraftian horror and oddness...**Swoon**

I agree with you, it is dull...I get the upkeep thing...but we were having it before and it seemed okay...now it feels like a punishment for having buildings...I get this is a survival game...we're all gonna die...but I don't want to die from lack of or tied up resources...I want a cultist to get me or some other booger man they plan on implementing. Dying by giant Obeliskian was fun...I guess what I'm saying is I would rather have upkeep the way it was before...honestly. With having to build the houses to get your population...that's a huge tax on resources as it is...then add on another resource hog? I want to die in the game in a fun and fiery way...not oh your kitchen broke, there's no resources to fix it...and like popcorn the others start going and you end up starving to death. There's another game dedicated to that...I digress...on a survival-esque game this is...I think they should focus on the events which is the part that most people (what I've read on Steam) were drawn to...although actually having control over what your building looks like is really awesome.

I was having trouble keeping up at the end game...I was having trouble getting to the max population. Now, honestly with all the convolution I don't even want to play...even though I sooooo want to play. The housing doesn't bother me at all...it makes sense...I was having my guys sleep on the damn floor all the time...but kept em' boozed and fed...they were happy sleeping on the floor. The upkeep thing seriously needs to either go back to it's original form (for now) or be made an option to have....because it is not cool to die from the lack of resources.

15. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

I don't mind running out of resources... just not by upkeep haha. I'm sure there's a way to get all the colonists to be ravenous for a few days and eat all the food...

Also could have bandit and fish person raids when everyone is asleep taking your stuff.... you'd have to implement a night watch

Unforked likes this.
  16. Jubbly

Jubbly Member

For me, just having the system work properly would be fine, i don't mind a bit of drudgery, just getting PO with my buildings not being repaired because work crews would rather do something else.

17. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

How about this:

I might be the only weirdo who liked textile workshops (
    and really likes the upkeep mechanics, especially as something to do in the early game
    ), I know, but I feel like this is a great moment to bring back linen. I agree that it would make the workshop system convoluted again, since linen needs to be crafted somewhere.

Let me explain.

The problem: As I see it, the biggest drainers of resources and especially novice upkeep trunks are cots. And they should cost a lot to prevent over-extensive population growth. But in growing large colonies this sets up a high wall, especially since at that point nearby forests have all been cut down and hauling logs from far away take a lot of time and even with the stone mining science upgrade stone production is slow. Creating cots also just slows down the game.

The solution: Beds that don't need upkeep, since being rustic rather than gaunt, they need break down less. Yes, basically the same as cots, requiring the same amount of planks to craft, but in addition need linen.
    This could also be expanded to other areas. Lacquered wood being more resistant to atmospheric changes. Science lowering upkeep costs of metal modules (preventing oxidation).

But wouldn't this just add another annoying hoop for the player to jump through?
    A hoop? Yes, but the same problem could be solved in different ways and the core of the system would remain the same. For the example of linen beds. The player gets the option of five ways to acquire linen. The slow way: create your own linen out of farmed flax. The quick way: raid the tents (their coverings) of bandits for linen. The merchant's way: buy linen off a trader. The colonial way: request for linen from the empire. The uncertain way: hope for an event, for example an airship crash, to leave behind linen. And of course the sixth option is to keep relying on cots and exponential industrial growth.

(And maybe if linen were tied to the crafting of carpets and clotheslines, they could be allowed to share space with furniture and modules again. Clotheslines are already the best option, since they don't obstruct movement, so that could also be a reward for finding linen)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  18. Unforked

Unforked Member

Yes! Interesting choices, instead of cranking out the same generic boxes game after game.

I'm all about bringing linen back, didn't realize how much I missed it until you brought it up. That, and malfeasant clawbulbs, but that's a different topic.;)

Noratoxin likes this.
  19. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

The British were known for their textile factories.

20. tojosan

tojosan Member

Related to crafting and downed air ships. My colonists gather up scrap metal yet I've not found a way to turn it into iron bars.
    Am I missing something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.