BETA 52B BETA 52B: WE BASICALLY REWROTE ALL THE UI AGAIN

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

No, it's a bug. Because there's a handful of stuff a hotfix isn't going to be pushed until Sunday at some point.

They absolutely should haul trunks in multiples; I'll fix that too.

2. gmkchicago

gmkchicago Member

Was weighting towards moving goods to stockpiles and into stacks in stockpiles increased? It seems like my laborers are now doing this much more than 52A to detriment of mining/lumber/forage jobs.

My soldiers are also doing hauling. I actually like this - it makes them more useful, but not sure if that was intended.

tojosan likes this.
  3. tojosan

tojosan Member

Definitely one other issue with the UI. Selecting a building causes the resource tab to disappear. Also that window no longer floats. I often made decisions on building priority based on what I have on hand by opening the resources tab and the shop tab at the same. No longer possible.
    If you can see it in your heart to put this back, please do so.

4. tojosan

tojosan Member

-

- As noted, more than one item is grayed out in the build list though it lets you build it.
    - Each crop field requires a different supervisor.
    - Bandits are brutal now in the early game with not being able to ramp up the number of soldiers.
    - I'll second @gmkchicago re: soldiers hauling. I'm not complaining but it's crazy when a bunch of trees get chopped up and the band of soldiers runs over and hauls the wood in.
    - to second @gmkchicago again, I had one worker that spent a minute just stacking and stacking right outside the shop. This applies to wood and trunks most notably.
    - tasks don't appear to be taken in order. apparently it's more fun to chop wood than mine stone. Maybe with less works I'm just realizing this behavior.
    Keeping eyes peeled.

5. tojosan

tojosan Member

Rarely see this but got the script popup window.

Attached Files:

6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

hmmm mixed impressions with 52b.

New UI navigation seems more efficient, definitely needs more cosmetic love which is a given I guess for a first implementation but the first reaction I had was 'cool, a visual basic UI'. lol

Repair trunks.... honestly bric-a-brac was more than enough. At this point it's feel like the idea is meant to be that even day 1 carpentry workshops are meant to be built as sprawling factories manned by 3 workers minimum just to cover the basics and maintenance and then if you ever want to have anything else built beyond that, having the workshop fitted with a minimum of 8-10 workbenches as standard just so you can have tasks drop off as the target number is reached and the next workbench job below is adopted.... if that's the goal then the initial starting worker colonist numbers for all loadouts need to be tripled at a minimum (For many even quadrupled) and the 4 assignable workers per workcrew concept done away with completely... the starting conditions and the assignable workcrew values just doesn't fit in with what Bric-a-Brac has done to production after the "Per object" job assignment, and then repair trunks have only escalated the hotchpotch feeling of two entirely different designs fighting against each other further.... and changes to immigration feed into this even further.

I think this is definitely unintended, but I've noticed since the assignable stockpile change all my NCO ever really does now is haul. Even though there's no hauling activity in their panel and last I checked military units were changed to not be able to haul... I've also noticed you can assign a military squad to a stockpile but I've avoided doing that as it seems a obvious oversight that shouldn't be the case.

Edit: Oh and please please for the sake of Hamsalad PLLEEEASSSSSEEEE add a 'Display expanded Icons' toggle mode which enables/disables icons like 'missing construction components', but leaves things like general job icons displayed.

I KNOW THERE'S NO PLANKS FOR THE OVEN, AND NO BOXED MODULES FOR THE COTS! THAT'S WHY I HAVE MY WORKSHOP SET TO MAKE COTS AND PLANKS! GO AWAY ICON SPAM!

:p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Unforked likes this.
  7. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

oh and I noticed that doors and low class rugs now give a building -1 quality.

Whoever came up with that idea, I think the rest of the development team should visit their home the next time they're away for the weekend and then remove all the doors from their home (including the front door) and then brick up all the doorways and rip out all the flooring.

Then when they come home ask them how they feel the change has improved the quality of their home. ;)

To hammer the point in further, perhaps remove all the windows from their home as well.

8. Unforked

Unforked Member

Very much YES on your edit. The artwork is beautiful, it's a shame it must get covered up by icons so often.

9. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Phew - though it has a bonus effect of slowing the game nicely :) However, with lots to repair, took 4 full days to get round all the buildings that were disabled. Perhaps prioritise this task? Or have a building option to "Request Repair"?

Edit : 5 full days ....

ok ... finished with this build sadly. Repair system needs significant tweaking if it is to remain. Good idea in theory, just needs some practical ways for it not to consume all the time and effort (independent of the number of kits needed). At present, I get maybe a day between my metal works being out of action then repaired. 1 day later, broken again and the cycle repeats.

Random breaking in 5-10 days perhaps? Everything falling apart on the same day causes too much stress on workers and does not seem to fit with the game flow.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  10. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Have repairs spawn 'spanners' above the module, and then the player has to go around clicking the spanners to do the repair which consumes one repair kit.

Each spanner plays a note and if you have enough pending repairs you can click enough spanners to play the Clockworkonian national anthem and a special prestige bonus if you complete the entire 15 minute long piece.

Wait...

Wrong game.

11. jotwebe

jotwebe Gained the People's Ovation and Fame Forever

I think I like the more controlled immigration we have now. It's a shame that now I'm only building 3x3 lower class and 2x3 middle class houses when you did all the work with the building extrusion code.

I think it's a bit problematic tying upkeep to wood - as we deforest in an ever widening circle around the colony, the same amount of wood is going to require more and more effort. There probably should be a way to substitute mining products for wood like there is with bric-a-brac.

UI wise I'm hankering for some hotkeys, especially to quickly check on goods (do I need more bric-a-brac or can I build this right away?)

I like the change with the grayed-out modules and products, although it should be a bit less aggressive about it. Currently it seems that in the kitchen every basic foodstuff that has more than one product is grayed out.

12. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

That is a bug.

13. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

That.. doesn't sound right. Upkeep should keep a building working for 5 days afterward. Will have to look into that.

14. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Yeah, until you have (if you have) access to the infinite wood source (ie: farming the bamboo) it would be quite the issue,..

15. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Hmm ... seems to be on a 5 day count from the last mass-extinction event. Will check closely.

Another small issue. Had 2 of the 3 master repair trunks needed for the metalworks repair - no other way of making the master trunk ... and then the metalworks broke. I guess it has to be demolished and start again? There does not seem to be repairs of the rest of the structure that does not need master bits.

Edit : ok, took 3 days to repair but seemed to have fixed it even with 1 master missing. Odd. Will now see how long before it breaks :)

Edit 2 : Yup - all places break on the same day : the workshop 1 day after it was finally repaired. Fixed on day 49, broke morning of 51.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  16. wargarurumon

wargarurumon Member

what? they require upkeep i think every day, including the houses

17. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

At present, every 5 days everything breaks and needs repairing. In theory, I guess, it should be 5 days from the last time it was repaired. Still don't like this regular cascade of failure needed mass workers to fix over 3-4 days.

Even the latter seems too prescriptive and does not account for usage. I accept my poor carpentry workbenches will fail often but only one person operates my 4 workstation ceramics workshop - this should not break so often. Some workshops with no one allocated also break having not been used.

18. wargarurumon

wargarurumon Member

worst part is then that their entire production qeue is reset, i can get that they're temporarily out of action, but then to input their entire workflow AGAIN? *rolls eyes

19. tojosan

tojosan Member

On a positive note, the controlled immigration is actually nice. Lets us ramp up at our own pace.

For my fellow players, would it still be worth it to build the rather huge barracks for people to sleep in initially? Make it comfortable so the smaller houses matter less?

20. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Due to the repair cost bug, the more beds you pack in it, the crazier the upkeep costs become.

tojosan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.