Official Expansion Pack Beta Thread/1.0.8 Beta Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

The combination of a Patch 1.0.8 beta and the expansion pack alpha has been uploaded to Valve. Some notes, C&Ped from the Something Awful forums:

- The official expansion screen? Isn't in yet. But you will be able to guess the title. Please don't announce it yet, we'd like to do a slightly more official announcement? I think. Whatever. I'm sure someone will leak the damn thing.
    - There are a bunch of bugfixes and tweaks here that will also be going into the 1.0.8 core release. There are new skills in a bunch of the old skill trees; for instance, Magical Training now has one spell in it (!), and Vampirism will let you turn into a Batty.
    - I expect a LOT of broken stuff and to be miserable as hell while we get this sorted out.
    - The Big Game Hunter skill tree is disabled, so you have five trees to play with (Emomancy, Werediggle, Demonologist, Vegan, and Piracy.) There are some other trees we are working on that aren't as fleshed out yet (Hermetics, Magical Law); we're disabling those until we get them a little bit more figured out.
    - I expect mini-branches to be hideously unbalanced and super crashy.
    - This is mainly code complete, but not content complete. In particular, we have a bunch more work to do on the skills, we may be adding those other two skill trees back in, and David has a todo list involving creating about a hundred new rooms, and about ninety-four new items. Most of my actual "add the new things NAO" work, though? Should be done.
    - We also have to adjust all the monsters, and nothing is balanced, and it's generally going to be awful until about Tuesday, once we get some feedback and some more time to sort things out and David finishes moving.

(Does that last one sound familiar? Why does this always happen to us?)

I'll get some better changelog notes up when I have a chance. In the mean time, enjoy the SECRET STUFF.

brobbeh, Marak, Godwin and 1 other person like this.
  2. Godwin

Godwin Member

YES YES YES YES YES!!!
    Ever since I saw that batty with eyebrows in one of the screenshots I hoped and prayed and sacrificed lutefisk (?) that this would happen and it will!! YAY :D

EDIT: oh yeah, rest sounds cool too :p

3. Fayd

Fayd Member

...Sad... I should have signed up for the forums sooner; I would have suggested a skill a while ago: Law-Ninja (as an homage to 8-Bit Theater) but with Magical Law as a skill name, I don't know if there will be law puns left over...

4. marsgreekgod

marsgreekgod Member

Why can't you suggest that now?

theres more to be added!

heck if you want you can mod a bit and add it yourself!

5. Fayd

Fayd Member

Good point... though modding it myself is unlikely, for the same reason I didn't apply for the beta program (though I would love it). I'm a first year law student and have very, very little free time. I wouldn't be able to make, test, and balance the skill-set as my personal standards of quality dictate, and I don't feel like joining the beta program would be fair to Gaslamp as I would be unable to provide enough useful feedback.

6. Nicholas

This is now live. Testers, your thoughts?

Known bugs:

- music isn't shutting off completely when the volume is set to zero (probably a holdover from 1.0.7)
    - getting the Thaumaturgic Conflux effect when dodging if Artful Dodger is set

7. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It is, I don't seem to have it? Nor is there any notice of it on Steam I can see.

EDIT: Just kidding... and by that I mean I'm just oblivious.

I'm enjoying the xml, I shall have some fun with this. I'm still so frustrated trying to get eye of the storm to work though. That and one icon are all I need to do. So I shall probably make a new tree utilizing this fun stuff.

8. I just got the download and it seems everything is in here, going to do a run with these see what I find :D

EDIT: right off the bat I found my "go up" key instead of W was 7 for some reason, maybe an error on my part?

Also I'm loling really hard at the new trees' skills

9. Nicholas

The W instead of 7 issue is caused by moving from 1.0.8 or 1.0.7 to 1.0.6 and then back again. Just fix it and hopefully it'll be okay later.

10. Yeah, W is fixed after saving and loading, but after that I found 2 bugs. I left afk transformed and after a while you turn into a human and play the idle (playing with a console) animation until you move again.

Also saving and reloading while you are a werediggle turns you into an icy golem.

EDIT: tried to save after the icy golem thing and the game crashed, killing my save

On my current game I found 2 levers, next to each other. Pulled one, both vanished.

11. Null

Not being able to change the speed is torture. I love the animations and everything but it just takes too long now.

Still having fun with my assassin beserker emo vampwerediggle.

Also bugs yay,
    Mysterious Portal just crashes the game (you probably knew this)
    No blockers at all are passable or transparent any more, thus bars block sight, small bones on the floor block passage.
    Gaining a skill from a level up while transformed gives you that skill while transformed. Upon the end of the transformation it will not be on the bar (but can be added). It won't persist into future transformations
    Doing some kind of reset (going down stairs, reloading) while in werediggle will keep the skills from it (plague etc) but not the buffs. You can still add your own skills back.
    Icon for Magic Reflection doesn't show up but the number does.

Feel free to make a new bug topic.

Looking through the xml:
    "Effecting your knowledge of leylines, you are siphoning vital essence from the aethereal realm. Try not to anger any outer beings by doing this too much."
    "Effecting" :D

12. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Do we need a second key? because all I get is "this game is currently unavailable."

13. Try restarting steam, it usually fixes the avaliability problems

14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

No such luck. Any other ideas?
    '

Edit: NVM, 'validating game files' found the missing file and fixed it. :)

15. Nicholas

The mysterious portal shouldn't just crash the game - it should work. Hmm. That's going to be a bugger to track down...

16. Null

It might have been because I was polymorphed (Fairly certain I was).

17. Nicholas

Oh! Yes, of course that would crash the game. :) Fixing.

18. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Though it's pretty awkward, I stand by my use of "effecting", from here : "Effect" can also be used as a verb meaning "to bring about".

So it's using your knowledge of Leylines to bring about ... stuff.

19. Null

I was :Ding because it was correct.

It comes out where? should deal existential damage and lower resistance to it. Or more fun have it be delayed for a bit.

This expansion has so much love for existential damage between vegan and emo.

20. marsgreekgod

marsgreekgod Member

It didn't crash the game for me! it took me to level 0 where a monster one hit me

it looked like ice