Can colonists eat sugar loaf or molasses by itself?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by BillyBabel, May 22, 2016.

1. BillyBabel

BillyBabel Member

I harvest a whole bunch of sugar cane, and made sugar loaf, and molasses, but colonists seem to keep wandering around hungry.

2. Unforked

Unforked Member

Sugarloaf can only be used for coconut curry, as far as I can tell. So... you need coconuts and chili peppers.

You can make rum with the molasses.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. BillyBabel

BillyBabel Member

so sugarcane is as of right now, objectively the worst crop then it seems.

Jacq likes this.
  4. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

It should be useable via Cook Basic Food onto standard Stew?

5. Unforked

Unforked Member

Really? Couldn't pull that off a few builds ago.

6. berkstin

berkstin Member

I'm pretty sure in a previous build I did see some colonists eating molasses and/or sugar during a food shortage.

7. tojosan

tojosan Member

Molasses they will eat. Apparently they are too smart/dumb to eat sugar loaf.
    No fat colonists on my watch!

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Colonists will resort to less finished types of foods if they become really, really hungry. So that ^ is true.

(It might be worthwhile to make some kind of low-quality sugarcane stew recipe. I'll forward the thought to our local economist as OC-5086.)

9. dbaumgart

Just checked, and indeed you can make sugarcane into generic stew. Edit: but duh, of course, you can't make basic food anymore. RIGHT.

So this is intended to make a basic output, but it does not currently do it. See issue logged above!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  10. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

can we do the same for agave? It seems pointless to have it be a large output crop and not be able to use it for anything but pulque

tojosan likes this.
  11. dbaumgart

Sure, I'll add a note about that to the ticket.

12. tojosan

tojosan Member

Okay, so corn works for booze, and wheat... but is there a rum recipe?
    Also, what the heck module is needed to turn molasses into booze? :)

13. tojosan

tojosan Member

PS. I'd like to see coconut rum!

14. dbaumgart

You must turn sugarcane into molasses then molasses into rum. You need a Still to produce all distilled spirits (whiskey, rum, tequila, and so on).

15. Mad_Ludvig

Mad_Ludvig Member

It'd be nice if there was a basic drink available for colonies starting in tropical or cold biomes. Right now corn is kind of overpowered since you can make stew and booze from it, and overseers are much happier eating crappy stew when they can drink booze.

It takes quite a while to get everything spooled up to make a still or get wheat researched, plus a separate farm etc.

DaCrAzYmOfO likes this.
  16. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

We'll that's the challenge of different biomes. I bitched that you really can't do much with agave besides chicha and they might make it become basic food... but who knows. Chili peppers are not a good source of food in the desert :S... bunch of unhappy colonists with toilet problems bahahha

17. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

I do however feel this can be balanced by requiring larger amounts of ingredients to make basic foods, that would require crop specific dishes mind you.