BETA 51 BETA 51: Frontier Living in Interesting Times

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

By way of warning, I got that same wicked error on other high end items in the MetalShop as well. If I recall correctly Brass ingots also caused a similar error. I would have reported it, but at that point I was just reloading any time I saw that error come up to avoid a broken forge, it was late in the game, and I simply forgot.

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Alright, well, we can look at those tomorrow at the same time as the chemistry workbench.

(Fun!)

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Also, no, don't try Cynar. It's pretty vile. Apparently you can make a good manhattan with it, though?

Unforked likes this.
  4. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

The good news is, aside from the show stopping trade depot crash, this is easily the most stable version of the game I played to date. It's really nice not to have to frantically save every couple minutes for fear of losing progress.

5. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Yep. I have 5 workbenches in my workshop to keep up the supply of planks and bricabrac. I also have a night shift that I switch to, to keep production going 24/7.

6. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Once you get a ceramics shop and a mine going, I find you can switch over to glass based bricabrac, since the ceramist doesn't have much to do other than build a few key items and some occasional bricks at present. Unfortunately, the burden on the carpentry shop is very front loaded in the early game and very light in the late game, but there doesn't appear to be a reliable way to delete un-needed modules at present. So I try to make do with 3 benches in the carpentry shop, two of which are permanently making planks and bricabrac, the third doing the actual situational crafting.

I have however started turning workers away after about the 25 colonist mark on until I get a bricabrac surplus. There doesn't appear to be any penalty for doing so at present other than slower(controlled) growth.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  7. Jacq

Jacq Member

^
    Another solution to that I've found useful is just building two Carpentry workshops. The early game one has 2-3 workbenches, and the late-game has two power saws (ie a dedicated plank/bricabrac workshop). Enable all other types of jobs in the latter's work crew, and only assign your other crew to the carpentry workshop when you need to make stuff.

I haven't experimented with this yet, but are mixed workshops still possible? I think it would be nice to have a workshop dedicated to bricks and planks (and possibly gladd/bricabrac).

8. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Is it worth building power saws in the present game? The carpentry shop production burden is so front loaded in the early game, that by the time you get a metal shop with all the requisite parts and higher priority items built, the need for fast production in the carpentry shop has largely passed. By the late game Im usually fine with a single basic workbench in the woodshop, having redistributed the wood workers to food production.

9. Unforked

Unforked Member

I think the power saw is really meant for some crazy upcoming late game content. Same goes for the other yet to be implemented power items.

10. Jacq

Jacq Member

Yeah to be honest I don't know if powersaws are still worth it since by the time you have all the guff to craft them you don't really need to make a bunch of planks anymore. Though I do often get bored in the late game and do stuff like convert all my bunkhouses to middle class neighbourhoods. :)

11. BillyBabel

BillyBabel Member

I think mine might be a bit different, it says in the commodities menu that I have 10 logs, and I have cut down a lot more and people seem to refuse to pick them up. Everyone just walks around gossiping or admiring machinery. If cutting down more trees fixed your problem, then we might perhaps have different problems.

12. Danl

Danl Member

Crashing very shortly after 'set course for adventure'. (mac) :(

13. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

The wood you see on the ground may not actually be there, so there may be nothing to pick up. There is a visual bug.

Is wood being required for other competing jobs (building/repairing, etc)? The early game demands a ton of logs--you should be pretty much always chopping stuff down. Are your workbenches broken? Are your colonists happy, or are they disgruntled from lack of sleep/food/poor working conditions, etc? Are the available logs really far away?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  14. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

ABC=Always be Chopping. Delicious Beer is for Choppers. First place in this month's wood chopping quota is a delightful class appropriate area rug. Second place is we feed you to the freaking fishmen.

15. BillyBabel

BillyBabel Member

I'm not looking at the ground, I'm looking at the little numbers when you click the menu in the upper left whatever it is called. I have 8 logs, and I've got much more wood but no one will pick up the wood, they just stand around. I walked away for 30 minutes and the 8 wood it says in the menu thingy had not been used, no new wood that had been chopped down had been hauled to my stockpile, and everyone is only walking around gossiping and admiring machinery.

16. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Right, all the much more wood you think you have? You may not have it. Theyre not picking it up because it may not really be there because of that visual bug. You have 8 logs total somewhere (I assume the commodities list is accurate in this build, but it wasnt in the last one), which might not be adequate for all your current jobs, and it could be really far away, drastically slowing production for colonists that may be under-motivated for whatever reason.

Start chopping a bunch more wood, then given them a day or so to get back into the swing of things.

If they still dont start working even with a new influx of logs, it may be the elusive broken Module bug, and Gaslamp will want a look at it.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  17. Thanks Nicholas!

Regarding 2) I think we need better feedback when that happens, and why - perhaps in the "Yesterday" events we get now on the characters sheets?

Until your answer to 3), I didn't realise that we need to have as many workbenches as types of outputs we want from the workshop. Do we need to micro manage the workbenches so we get required building components built? Or just leaving one idle and having enough workers on the assigned work crew will do the job?

I guess I missed one or two dev blog posts about this.

18. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Crash when traders arrive and I click the trade post

Attached Files:

19. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

My laudanum-ridden waste of space Ceramicist Lionel Rivetworth will not work on an assignment unless the module in question is moved to the top of the module priority list. My previous ceramicist was a drunk, so I replaced her with Lionel but he has the same problem. This is the same shop that has the bugged Stone Kiln that was deleted, but still shows in the module list.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  20. Cyjack

Cyjack Member

Can the Iron Smelting Crucible actually be constructed? Is it behind a research wall in the laboratory that isn't apparent right now?

I'm unable to build one despite having the ingredients and a free worker, and If I recall correctly I was unable to in the last build as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.