Help! Poisoneer Mod Needs YOU!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

OK, so I've managed to piece together some code that causes the game to page fault when it's loading. The launcher works, but the main menu never loads and it kills everything. With careful use of the comment code, I've narrowed it down to exactly what code it is that's causing everything to crash.

If I move the comment bars even just inside the <spell></spell> tags so that there's an apparently-empty spell named "Neurotoxic" in the game, it page-faults out every time. For those curious, "Neurotoxin" is Nerve Staple that does toxic damage, and it as an independent spell works just fine. I just want to be able to call it through the use of this buff, but it's completely failing even though Opera's XML parser can't find any problems with the XML itself.

If it's relevant, it's being called by this perfectly-functional skill:

Any insight that anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated. The goal, for the record, is to create a buff that gives a chance of delivering a dot-and-debuff to the enemy, but for now I'll settle for Nerve Staple. Once this part's working, I'll work out the dot-from-a-buff part of things. :)

2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Radiant Aura used to cause the game to crash during the 1.0.6 beta because of an incorrect icon file.

Are you sure the files skills/wizard/spell_black1_32.png and skills/wizard/spell_black1_64.png exist?

3. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Another opera user! Anyway... not sure if this is the problem but first of all

Actually given that it triggers Neurotoxin I assume that was testing or something.

I really don't want to sound like I assume you're stupid, but it's possible that it was a mistake such as tacking it on to the end of the file outside of the tags. That shouldn't fail for anything without a style sheet. Because as is that works perfectly fine for me without error.

4. Essence

Ah -- you're right, I copied over the XML before I changed it back to <spell name="Neurotoxic"...> But I double checked and it is inside the </spellDB> tags (assuming that's what you meant.)

And yes, Opera is the bomb. I don't even know how I would get by without my favorite all-in-one internet browser/email client/bittorrent handler/RSS aggregator/scheduler. Seriously, my entire life is on Opera. :D

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah I really cannot find any problems with that code itself. It runs perfectly for me, so there has to be something else that's causing it.

6. Essence

Really? That's truly wierd. I've narrowed down the problem, and it is with the icon code -- but ANY icon code I put in there causes the game to page fault out while loading. :(

I can run it with no "icon=" in the code, and it will show (for some reason) wizard/spell_air0 as a default icon. The mechanics work just fine, I just can't add an icon to it. Zero idea why. :(

7. Essence

OK, also, for some reason that I can't figure, having this skill gives me the ability to perform Crippling Wouds and Bleeding Outs as though I had level 3 Deadshot (which is the skill I replaced it with) even when I only have level 1 Poisoneering.

For the record, here's the ENTIRE skilltext and spelltext just to see if anyone can figure it out:

and

I am thoroughly flummoxed by this. As a side-note, can anyone tell me how to get an icon to appear for the regen effect from Anti-Poison? It happens mechanically correctly, but with no icon or countdown timer. Do I need to stack it in a buff that does nothing but act as a container for the regen effect?

Thanks anyone and everyone with any ideas for your help. :)

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Do you have access to the 107 beta with modding and all that?
    If not, I'll send you a key to get you started. (And any other modders out there want to get their hands dirty?) A few things about defining skills have been added or changed so it'd probably be best to get you up to date.

The icon not showing doesn't make any sense to me at all. Um. But let's get you up to date on the latest patch so you avoid any weird hardcoded issues that might be coming up.

Unrelated, but as a side note you should use unique filenames for every de/buff icons; oddly, the buff's identity is basically tracked by its unique icon and if you start piling up buffs with the same icon that do different things bad stuff starts happening.

9. Essence

I would LOVE said key. :D Will it work via Desura rather than Steam?

And the icon filename thing is probably exactly what's screwing me up, I seem to remember seeing that icon being used for something else somewhere. I'll see if I can figure it out; if nothing else I'll copy the picture and give it a new name. :)

Thank you!!!

10. Essence

OK, so I decided I wanted a better capstone ability than just a better version of the level 1 ability, so I decided to take a cue from the movie Aliens and make a badass "you're so poisonous that your blood kills people" ability. For unknown reasons, it crashes the game whenever I try to learn it. As in, the game starts, everything is normal, I can look at it in the skill menu, but when I level up and click on it to learn it -- instant crash.

Here's the code:

Code:
    <ability name="You Know That You're Toxic" icon="skills/toxic_self64.png" skill="602" level="5">
    <description text="You've been dealing with poison so long that your very blood is prone to poisoning the people near you whenever you get hit hard enough to cause a spray."/>
    <damagebuff toxic="2" />
    <playerHitEffectBuff percentage="30" name="You're Toxic"/>
    <secondaryBuff id="12" amount="3" /> <!-- Sneakiness -->
    <secondaryBuff id="0" amount="5" /> <!-- HP -->
    </ability>
    </poisoneerSkills>

<spell name="You're Toxic" type="template" templateID="09" anchored="1" icon="skills/toxic_self32.png" wand="0">
    <effect type="dot" amount="8" spell="Major Toxin"/>
    </spell>

(Major Toxin is listed a few posts up if you're curious.)

Any ideas why that's failing? It's not an icon problem. Opera says the XML is solid. And I've already got a different ability that procs a template spell on playerHit succesfully, so I know it's not that. [EDIT: I was wrong. Apparently proccing a template spell worked in 1.0.7 but causes a crash in 1.0.8, so this might be the problem in the first place.]

NEVER MIND! It was an an entirely different bug wherein trying to learn the final level of ANY modded-in skill makes 1.0.8.2 tank like Tank Grrl. I'm leaving this post in here because I'd already deleted the above code in a haste of frustration and I want to have it here tomorrow so I can put it back. :)