Official Beta 1.0.7 Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

For people to discuss the beta of patch 1.0.7. I'm reconstructing patch notes, and will update this as soon as I get a chance...

Partial Patch Notes:

- female character!
    - new skill screen!
    - mod support (which will be documented later)
    - addition of belts, pants, and gloves to the game!
    - some other things!
    - FIXED: the "lava eelies on floor 2" bug (and djinns, etc.)
    - Elvishly Easy mode is now even easier.
    - the quick game! mode
    - no bad weapon penalties
    - a handful of internal changes and bug fixes
    - probably some balancing stuff we can't remember

2. Nicholas

Known bugs: dual wielding and vampirism are both broken because of the mod support. This has been fixed locally, and will be in an updated beta later this week once we get more feedback...

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm vibrating in my chair. Just sayin'.

4. Copycat Zero

Copycat Zero Member

Would you prefer bug reports here, or in a thread (which I convenienetly created earlier) in the Bug forums?

[EDIT] Decided not to double-post the bugs after all.

Broken in what way? I seem to be regenerating health with my attacks, although a bit less than normal. I haven't had a chance to test Drinker of the Dead yet. But I do see what you mean about Dual Wield being broken, and it's probably related to all the other skill passive stat bonuses being broken too.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Chests autoloot when you open them now, this is extremely annoying as I rarely want to pick up chest items unless they're good.

6. bloodhit

bloodhit Member

How can I get the beta client 1.0.7?

7. marsgreekgod

marsgreekgod Member

You can only get as a tester.

-------------------------------------------

So the new skills aren't in beta?

I was being a newb, never mind.

But hey, if we agree to buy it/pay for it early, can beta testers test the new skills?

8. dihaploidy

dihaploidy Member

Seeing as the lack of life regen has made it tricky to get too far into the game here are some non-gameplay things I noticed:

-Selecting any of the tutorial levels crashes the game.

-My sound/music levels are changing every time I launch, both values decrease by one unit each time the game launcher is launched. However when I set them to the value of 100 they do not decrease on subsequent launches.

9. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Reminder that the official bug sheet is here: http://glg.me/bugsheet

Hopefully the devs (or whoever is in charge) will add another sheet for the latest beta.

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Technically that sheet is sort of abandoned (and it wasn't official) but I don't know about in the future. Right now the best ways to report bugs is to send an email to contact@gaslampgames.com, or come in the IRC and if people are around they'll file it, or even tweet them on twitter.

Or even post on the forums, yes. They read it.

Edit: I just noticed there's a new tab on that bugsheet for this beta. Feel free to post them there if you want then.

11. Nicholas

Okay, the list of things that I've fixed:

• skills appearing twice in the new hotscreen after selecting them
    • broken dual wield, vampirism
    • broken health regeneration, mana regeneration
    • broken passive skills
    • sound and music levels
    • dropping potions on closed chests makes them disappear (old bug)
    • swapping gear by clicking elsewhere on the paper doll doesn't work
    • female hero teleport animation uses the male sprite
    • drinking a potion of invisibility crashes the game (female hero)
    • rings with enormous prices, negative prices, general problems
    • the chest-autolooting business
    • "click to add skill" interface broken
    • the broken cheese recipe
    • various crafting trees not starting with the right tools (tinkerers still start with absolutely random rubbish, we're working on this)
    • tutorial crashes
    We'll push that lot to Valve, and we'll see where we stand tomorrow morning.

12. Nicholas

Oh, and the save game crash is fixed too....

13. Copycat Zero

Copycat Zero Member

Yeah, as Daynab said, that sheet's never been official.

As for who adds the tabs, the October 4 Beta was me, and, as you probably noticed, you, I, and 123stw were basically the only ones who made posts on it for that beta. That was basically the last straw in making me lose hope in that thing's continued existence; thus, why I've decided to post my bugs on the official forums this time around.

14. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

s/official/developer-endorsed/g

I think all the sheet needs is more promotion. Is it even mentioned anywhere these days?

15. Copycat Zero

Copycat Zero Member

It's linked in the OP of the SA thread, and I mentioned it a few times around the last couple betas, but it's just progressively dropped off as time went by.

Keep in mind, though, that when the spreadsheet first started, these forums didn't exist and the devs relied on the sheet and the SA thread for game feedback (the IRC channel notwithstanding), so I don't think it's just that people don't know about the spreadsheet, so much as it isn't needed as much anymore.

16. 123stw

123stw Member

The type="heal" amount="1" on vampirism no longer works, so the minimum regen is 2 (or 0) instead of 3 (or 1)

You can no longer add/remove/move skills on your skill tab.

This is after the very recent update.

17. Copycat Zero

Copycat Zero Member

Had put this in the bug thread, but I figured feedback would be better here than there:

The grunt that the girl makes when she kicks... something doesn't sound right about it -- not in a perverse way, but it sounds less like a grunt of exertion and more like she's gagging.

Also, the lack of unskilled penalty doesn't immediately make a no-weapon-skill build viable, as then you're extremely dependent on the RNG god deciding to throw you a weapon early enough. The only reason I survived long enough to find one (particularly since I'm trying this on Going Rogue) is because I've got the defensive bonuses from Dual Wielding, Artful Dodger, and Master of Arms (plus the free armor from the latter), as well as Vampirism. Maybe the Melee Attack Power value you get from Burliness could be increased a little (would also help Unarmed, which I feel suffers a bit compared to other weapon types)? The change is otherwise positive, as it allows players to grab whatever the strongest weapon they find is, rather than having to go "Well, that's a great weapon, but I don't have the skill to use it".

Not sure how I feel about the changes to how certain items loot to you. It's a bit disconcerting to have purchases go directly to my bag and for chest items to remain on the ground after I open the chest, rather than the item being on my mouse pointer in both cases. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to the normal way. I like the Lucky Pick change, though (even if it took me a bit to get out of the habit of trying to drop the picks on me after I spawn them).

18. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Regarding the female unarmed attack sounds - I know what you mean. Matthew tweaked them a bit but it's still not quite right so I'm asking him to find some new base samples.

The items looting directly to inventory is not intended. It's a side-effect of some UI code changes that unfortunately mixed up how a lot of item interactions work. I'm thinking these will all get set straight as we get the chance to fix them.

19. Copycat Zero

Copycat Zero Member

I don't think anyone would object if you kept the behavior around for Lucky Pick (and I imagine the first Fungal Arts skill has the same behavior right now).

So, I just finished a run of Floor 1 on the quick mode and then the regular mode, with the same build in each case. My quick-mode character finished the floor 3/4ths of the way into level 4, while my regular-mode character finished the floor half of the way into level 5. I played them the same: disarming every trap I could, unlocking every door and chest with picks, breaking every Dredmor statue, killing every monster but not loitering to intentionally spawn more. I noticed that, while traps, unlocking, and Dredmor statues were worth double to the quick-mode character, monster kills were still the same. While their final levels weren't emensely different, it was still 3/4ths of a level that the regular-mode character got compared to the quick-mode character.

There's also the issue of gear and items. My quick-mode character, preparing to go down into Floor 2, has only her starting gear (the breastplate from Master of Arms and the spectacles from Deadshot) and a couple cheap weapons she picked up, while my regular-mode character is going down to Floor 2 with every gear slot full except neck. This makes fighting monsters more difficult for the quick-mode character, as she takes more damage/gets hit more and can't kill as fast because of the quality of her weapons. Furthermore, it potentially creates problems for crafting: fewer rooms means fewer opportunity to find crafting supplies, making it harder to build the good gear and making crafting less valuable.

Without having taken them further, I can't say for certain, but I could potentially see a quick-mode character struggling more than a regular-mode character the lower she goes. I don't know what you can do about the gear/crafting issue, but perhaps you might want to boost the XP that quick-mode characters get from monsters, too? Maybe not doubling, but perhaps by 50%?

Unrelated to the quick mode, just to make sure what I'm seeing is intended and not a bug, Deathly Hex no longer applies Necropain but also no longer has a life drain? It certainly makes it easier to use, although we still have to be careful about overusing it in case we debuff our life into nothing, and it does free up Necro from being heavily dependent on resists (and thus "needing" to pick up Astrology). [EDIT] However, I did just take a couple isolated points of random damage (after stacking the spell several times) and trying it again I do see that I'm healing a little, so maybe not?

20. Eikre

Eikre Member

The healthdrain works fine, albeit at a rate of (MP * 0.3) . Necropain is... Well I actually checked, it's still in there, but you're right that it doesn't seem to materialize and I've noticed that too. Oh, wait, DOT is broken. Duh, of course necropain would also be offline.

(When I had it out with you on SA and discounted it as a workable spell it was because its damage falls off steeply and I think whacking people with Pact Lifesteal is both less tedious and more tactically interesting, not because hex is or is not out-and-out suicidal.)

I agree with your take on quick-mode. For casters it's a good strategic option because it eliminates a lot of the need to trapdance and scrounge around before your magic has enough levels behind it to really start working, but for anyone with a crafting skill, and the melee blokes who excel at the first few levels anyway, it's a raw deal.