Mac and Linux Status Update

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Bluntly: performance suffers under OS X compared to Windows because the OpenGL stack for OS X is just a piece of garbage. I mean, really, just dreadful and badly optimized. Memory allocation is faster under OS X versus the default memory allocator in Windows by a lot, but we threw that out and replaced it with a custom allocator (jemalloc) for exactly that reason.

Exile likes this.
  2. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

:(

Is that in part due to the sorry state of OpenGL for a significant chunk of time by chance (and potentially shoddy OpenGL driver support) or more down to OS X itself?

Whilst I'm purely hobbyist and in the early stages of getting my feet wet, and my extent with such things is using 3rd party engines (Unity being the engine I've prototyped a few ideas to build a bit of familiarity with actually coming up with some functional solutions to concepts), OS X support is likely something I'll have to bite the bullet with sooner rather than later, so the idea of translating certain things over to work with OS X is sounding unsettling. :confused:

Starting to wonder if it may be a good idea to drop 3rd party engines and actually dive in the meat of it as I get the feeling that using existing engines is actually isolating me from things I'm better off actually getting acquainted with if I actually want to properly handle multiple platforms properly.

Exile likes this.
  3. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Next version of OS X will present an entirely new graphics interface that is supposedly much closer to direct access of the hardware. I suspect the next couple of months will provide a wealth of information on whether or not they succeeded in replacing OpenGL with a more effective interface.

4. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

As the OpenGL successor (or perhaps more accurately the long over due effort to take OpenGL and drag it kicking and screaming forward?), eventually that will likely be the case... albeit probably longer than it really should be for some environments that would actually benefit the most from adopting a prompt and focused utilisation of Vulkan.

But that's still quite some ways off I'd wager.

Exile likes this.
  5. Nicholas

No, OpenGL itself is just fine. We use it on Windows, it's just peachy. In many circumstances and with clever programming (well, not even all that clever), it can beat DirectX handily in benchmarks. The problem specifically is Apple's implementation of OpenGL, which is buggy, slow, and badly written.

I'm ... keeping my powder dry on Vulkan. Basically, Vulkan's attitude is "hey, you wanna keep complaining about the drivers? Well den, write yer own driver, schmarty-pants!" And I'm kind of okay with that, but I'm not going to retrofit CE to use it.

Exile likes this.
  6. berkstin

berkstin Member

Any luck?

7. berkstin

berkstin Member

any updates on Mac status?

8. JoelMcCracken

JoelMcCracken Member

It took me a little while to realize why I wasn't able to update to r42 with the experimental branch, and then I remembered this thread ;)

Great game. So far, I really like it. I can't wait to see it finished.

berkstin and Euel Ball like this.
  9. Nicholas

Status update: we have moved the Mac build to a newer, faster machine! It has now been set up with the network and we are running final tests on it. We *should* have the Mac build pushing experimentals with the next experimental branch, and then catching you up with Alpha 43. Again, our apologies for the delay on this.

Exile, Euel Ball and berkstin like this.
  10. Mikel

Thanks for the update, Nicholas. It's great to see that we are also going to get to play with the shiny new versions soon!

11. JoelMcCracken

JoelMcCracken Member

Awesome! Thanks, I appreciate it!

12. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Based on last month I assume you guys have shifted to a mid-month major release schedule again? So Alpha 43 next week give or take?

Exile likes this.
  13. Kokkeler

Kokkeler Member

iMac specs -

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)
    Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

I can only assume the game will not run, or will be horrifyingly buggy to an unplayable extent on my computer?

14. andre botelho

andre botelho Member

Well, it's absolutely unplayable on my mac.
    >>> It crashes when I click on the X button of any unfinished task (either chopping/collecting or building).
    >>> Won't save, won't allow continue from save.
    >>> Won't show any crash report.
    >>> Takes AGES (like 10 minutes) to build anything, no speed controls.

MacBook Pro Retina 13 Mid 2014
    OS X 10.11.1 (15B42)
    Intel Core i5 2.6 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Intel Iris 1536 MB

15. redchaostry

redchaostry Member

Can't comment on any of the crashing issues you have, but there are no speed controls in the game other than pause. And 10 minutes (Day is 6 minutes, Night is 2 minutes I believe) to build something early game, other than tiny workshops, is not uncommon.

16. Nicholas

As a heads-up, i am starting to suspect that we are having serious, Mac specific issues. I'm going to spend some time hunting these down next week.

Exile, JoelMcCracken and berkstin like this.
  17. Danl

Danl Member

Have had some problems with the latest build. ie crashing. One specific scenario potentially - twice I've had a game that crashes a second or two after my first pumpkin pops from my first farm. I'll try and send a log.

18. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

[​IMG]

Exile likes this.
  19. Mikel

For what it's worth, the save file I posted in the crash thread consistently suffers a crash a few minutes after reloading, regardless of what I do. Hopefully it can provide some insight.

Exile likes this.
  20. berkstin

berkstin Member

Hello. Just thought I'd bump this and see if any revelations had been made into the haunting/gremlinification of the OSX version...?