Help! Bushido Mod needs YOU!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I tried to make a Bushido skill mod (as per my Suggestions thread), and it mostly worked -- except that

1) On the skill-selection screen, it still looks like Throwing (which I replaced with it.) I tried simply adding a 34th skill to the matrix, but no such luck, it didn't show up in the selection screen.
    2) there's no icon for the skill itself in-game, despite my coding an icon (White4_64.png).
    3) Most importantly, every skill that comes after Bushido in the skill list simply doesn't exist in-game! Like, they still register as Warrior and Rogue skills and affect my stats, but the other effects (the ones that come form SkillDB.xml) don't exist at all. :(

[​IMG]

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Here are the links to the modified game files:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24563715/SkillDB.xml
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24563715/spellDB.xml

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I can't answer your questions as I haven't dabbled in modding at all, however the beta which is coming up sometimes soon will include mod support (at least that's what Gaslamp said in a tweet) and I know it's supposed to allow more skills than the 33.

3. Essence

OK, I figured it out. Or rather, I don't know what I did, but it's working now. Of course, because I replaced Throwing with it, you somehow still start with the Throwing skills' equipment (go hardcoded variables!), but other than that, Bushido works as intended as far as I've been able to test it (the first 2 levels).

[edit: Correction. It still counts as a Rogue level when you choose it, even though I put it under Weapon Skills in the xml. Guess that's hardcoded too. I'll have to move it; probably to replace Deadshot.]

The links in the OP still work, I've corrected those files. Give it a shot and lemme know what you think! :)

4. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Hm, dots work inside buffs? That's rather nice because I never saw that before anywhere, I even added that as a suggestion. Of course I haven't seen if they work yet but you've used them successfully?

5. Essence

Yep! I basically just copied the Lively Regeneration Potion into the buff, removed the duration timer, and it works just fine. I'm still balancing, of course -- it turns out 3 HP/turn is just way to much to have on basically any time you're not in combat, so I'm going to down it down to a "mere" +13 health regen and end up removing the dot altogether, but it does work as written.

The only strange part is that it doesn't show up anywhere. The buff icon shows up, but nothing about it suggests the regen is happening. The only way you can tell is by actually walking around with the effect on. :)

6. Essence

Mind the double post, but I played around a little bit and figured out the whole 'dot in a buff' thing. It works, but it applies the dot exactly once when the buff is first applied. I tried to apply the buff with no timer, assuming it would end when the buff did, but I was wrong -- it kept going forever because there was no timer. So while MtSelf was easy to modify (5 duration on the buff, 5 duration on the dot), Mind Like Meatloaf wouldn't have worked at all because the buff was Brittle, but the dot required a timer. Fortunately, as mentioned MLM was better balanced as a +13 bonus to health regen anyway, so it all worked out in the end.

So far, experience with the mod is that it's a decent skill, capable of keeping you alive if you run right up it. The first level is actually mildly iffy; even with that +1 melee power on there, the auto-crit skill just doesn't really do much at low levels. I expect it to be a salvation when I get to the point where missing out on enemy counterattacks is crucial, though. :)

For the record, for anyone curious, here is it as it stands:

1) +1 Melee Power, access to skill First Cut (your next attack auto-crits; cooldown 8.)
    2) +5 HP, proc-when-hit (10%) Mt. Self (+2 Piercing Resistance, +2 Burliness, and +2 HP/turn for 5 turns.)
    3) +5 Dodge, +1 Caddishness.
    4) +1 Melee Power, access to skill Mind Like Meatloaf (+13 health regeneration, -20 Sagacity, lasts until hit, cooldown 12.)
    5) +5 Magic Resistance, +1 Stubbornness.
    6) Proc-when-hit (80%) Jaws Of Death (+8 to resist every damage type except Blasting, Crushing, Slashing, Necromantic and Piercing; lasts 3 turns, stacks up to 3 times.)

That last one should make Double Rainbow a bit easier. :p I'm thinking the last level needs another little boost just for pretty color's sake, but I haven't playtested the effect yet; I need to make sure it's not overpowered as it is.

Daynab likes this.
  7. Daynab

So all these now work as you intended to? Great job man, that's impressive. How did you make #1 work?

8. Essence

Simple: it's a buff that wears off on your next attack. It gives +100 crit chance. :)

9. Daynab

Oh well that does make a lot of sense. Have you thought about making a skill pack with your ideas? With the next patch it'll be easy to have additional skills.

10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

... man, I was totally going to do that auto-crit thing for a new Berserk skill. Well. Still am.

But yes, the next patch should make you very happy. New skill modding is clean and you just dump xml files into a mod folder that gets toggled on with the mod launcher. Nicholas will write something up for this pretty soon here, or so he said (and now we can hold him to it).

11. Essence

Oh, I know! I've been reading about the new mod support with ever-increasing levels of drooliness. It's funny, I've been playing roguelikes (and hundreds of other games) my whole life, but this is the first mod I've ever written -- and it's great fun! I'm already seeing my wife getting annoyed at me because I "just gotta playtest long enough to reach CL8 so I can see how NewSkillX interacts with Mark of Chthon!"

:D

Also, a couple of edits to the mod:

1) Mt. Self's proc chance raised to 18%. It just wasn't going off enough to be really noticable.
    2) Jaws of Death's resistance boost dramatically lowered to 2. I finally found the wiki and checked the amount of damage monsters actually deal and realized that 8 was just ridiculous. But, to compensate, it now stacks up to 6 times (and lasts 6 turns.)
    3) Make Me One with Everything now adds +1 Sight radius. It just felt like an empty level, so I wanted to add something different and a little cool.
    4) For the same reason, Change Must Come From Within now adds +4 Haywire Chance. Yes, even us dedicated warriors end up relying on magic in strange ways from time to time, this just gives us a little extra fun when we do.

Oh, and feel free to rip off any and/or everything I post for a future patch. I'm certainly not going to object to being the inspiration for something cool happening in-game. ;)

12. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

This is why I made a god mode mod for use with dredmor mod manager. So so helpful for testing everything. Of course it does take skill points but first is an aoe nuke that kills everything, second boosts all of my stats to massive levels mostly for not dying. After that using a skill point would waste exp but laser of dungeon destroying doom that kills enemies and eats their corpses. And a spell to resurrect enemies on my side, which if I ever remake fleshsmithing will use. Sad that the rot on their brain means they can't use spells. (from charm not resurrect)

Anyway that's a tangent but you should get a godmode mod for testing because it makes it go so much faster. You can just go down floors when you see them and level up in an instant.

Essence likes this.
  13. Essence

Good idea is good. Thanks! :cool: