Tooting my Own Horn: I Made Clockwork Empires Videos

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alephred, Oct 27, 2014.

1. One thing I've noticed in all your videos (I quite like them) is your view on fish man death on your farms. Whilst it's true that they can contaminate your farm with malfeasant clawbulbs, it's not happening the way you think. If they die on the plot the plot isn't contaminated straight away. It's the corpse AND the gibs/blood. It's the same for cultists too, but I don't know how the game keeps track of who left what gibs.
    If you clear the gibs and butcher the body before the crops reach the next growth level (i'm also reasonably sure it's dependant on RNG too) then your crops will be uncontaminated.
    A lot of the time I see you mutter and complain when Fish men die on your plots as though the plot has been DOOMED CONTAMINATED FOREVER and i'm sitting in my chair tearing my hair out screaming NO THERE'S STILL SOMETHING YOU CAN DO, GET RID OF THE BLOOD. GET RID OF THE BLOOOOD.

I've had dozens of Fish men die on my plots and I sweep away the blood and butcher the corpse immediately. I've never had a Malfeasant Clawbulb occur since.
    Well, except that one time but there was also a small cult presence.

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

37A was intentionally put on the main build. 37 had some serious issues, and we went and cleaned them up for the experimental, but decided to push it to the main branch as a hotfix.

3. Miganto

Miganto Member

Streaky - that's not aimed at me right? I don't think i've ever done that :p

Nicholas - ok great, I did mention that the update seemed to be for things that made sense to push through, but the thread didn't make that clear so I was worried it was some kind of bug.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Aimed at Alphered.

5. Miganto

Miganto Member

Ep 2 released with much better sound

6. Miganto

Miganto Member

38 Patch notes out:

7. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I've begun playing through Revision 38! When it's done uploading and processing and stuff, it'll be here:

As more episodes get added, I'll append them to this post.

Here's Episode 2. And Episode 3.

Episode 4 is now up, and everything has gone to hell.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. Nicholas

Those of you who are making videos: what software are you using to do so? We have a couple of Youtubers who want to make videos but are having problems right now.

9. Alephred

Video Capture Software: MSI Afterburner
    Optional Audio Capture: Audacity
    Encoding: Adobe Premiere or HandBrake

I record play sessions with MSI Afterburner. It's free, lightweight, and allows you to optionally adjust the video format, quality, and a bunch of other options. It also doesn't draw too heavily on system resources.

For audio, I may use the mic capture from Afterburner, but that can be a gamble because I can't adjust my voice volume independently of the game audio (and then my voice is too loud, or too soft). If I'm feeling ambitious I sometimes capture narration separately with Audacity, and combine the captured video and my narration in Adobe Premiere. If editing is required, I do that in Premiere as well.

Once I have the finalized movie file (for me, generally .AVI, although MSI Afterburner now has the ability to encode directly to H.264 format), I export it from Premiere in YouTube-friendly H.264 format. If I was lazy and didn't do any editing in Premiere, I run the .AVI through Handbrake instead, to re-encode it into H.264, since it's much more lightweight than Premiere.

Turbo164 and Samut like this.
  10. Alephred

Listen to me struggle to form a sentence while deathwurms assail my colony, Part 1 of (probably) 4 or 5:

Following episodes will be posted here as they're done.

Episode 2, here. Episode 3, here.

Uploaded at the same time: episode 4 here. Episode 5 here.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Daniel likes this.
  11. Miganto

Miganto Member

I used to use FRAPS ==> Handbrake ==> Youtube, however I now use Mirillis Action. It compresses the file on the fly using your graphics card. For me a 20 minute video takes 20 minutes to upload, whereas before it took 20 minutes to record, 20 mins to compress and 15 mins to upload. The quality is fine (you guys can say if not ;)) and so all in all it's a quick, easy and efficient process.

There is a free trial which puts a watermark at the top and restricts some options, but I think it's ~£15 to buy so not expensive.

12. Miganto

Miganto Member

My patchnote/dev diary/what i use to record video is up - late compared to normal i'm afraid, I will try to record some of this revision as the past couple look interesting but time is against me at the moment.

13. Alephred

I've begun my Revision 40 playthrough:

Uploaded at the same time, Episode 2.

Episode 3 is up. Episode 4 is up too.

Following episodes will be listed here when they've been uploaded to Youtube.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Unforked likes this.
  14. advkow

advkow Member

So...I've wanted to try this game but the thing is I don't play this type much. As well as the fact that I have tons of questions. What I'm doing right, or wrong, or just plain weird. But instead of just asking a bunch of questions, I figured I'd record my first time and let you guys tell me how I'm screwing up? Feel free to take a look and let me know how I'm doing?

And episode Six. Now I'm not sure if revision A will affect my saved games or not, so this may be the last vid for a bit until the next update. We'll see.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Alephred likes this.
  15. Alephred

You seem to have a good grasp on the game basics so far, things are looking good. I think you may want to adjust your sound balance for future videos, though - the game sound is a little bit loud, it could stand to be a bit softer (it was the most jarring in the game menus, where the music is especially loud, and not so bad during actual gameplay).

16. advkow

advkow Member

Yeah, I fixed that after the first crash somewhat and will make a note for future. I'll be honest; I'm partially deaf in one ear and can forget that 'soft' for me is 'normal or slightly loud' for most.

17. Alephred

I've published a sort of Episode 0 for Revision 41:

I go over the beginnings of world generation and starting loadouts, as well as prisoners and beetle swarms, but it's a bit brief as I'm preparing to travel this weekend (so the rest of the series will get done when I get back). More episodes to come.

Episode 1 will be here when it finishes rendering.
    Episode 2 is here; starting off with a quick recap of the community colony.
    Episode 3. In Memoriam, Herbert Chalkbracket.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Unforked likes this.
  18. advkow

advkow Member

While at it, here is some videos of the new revision in which I try not to die! Please enjoy and laugh at my miserable colonists as they toil for the betterment of the aristocracy.

Sorry about the resolution: my system reset before I noticed and had made some episodes.

Also I'm not as cool as Alepherd so I can't sadly imped the tags as he does. Mainly cause I don't know how XD

And here is Episode 3! Thanks to Alephred I am now cool.

Up to Episode 4. And now Episode 5. Rainbow colors unite! Now Episode 6. Wow so much!

Episode 7 as we come up on the ending. Episode 8 how does it end?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Unforked likes this.
  19. Alephred

Are you talking about making a clickable link in the body of your forum post here? That's fairly straightforward:

1. Get the URL of your video (there's a 'Share' button beneath your video, or you can copy and paste it from the Address Bar of your browser.
    2. Highlight the section of text in your post you want to be the title of the link (something like 'This Episode' or 'Episode 2' or whatever.
    3. With the text highlighted, click that button at the top of the text field that looks like two chain links. That will allow you to paste the destination URL. Click Okay.
    4. What I like to do after that step is to slightly change the colour of that text, and underline it, so it's obvious it's a link. You can do that with the Underlined A button to change the colour, and the Underlined U button, to underline text.
    End result: advkow plays Clockwork Empires, Revision 41 part 2.

20. Nicholas

With Alephred out of town, who will post the first Revision 42 video? Will it be:

a) Miganto with dramatic patch note readings?
    b) advkow with a new playthrough?
    c) A new challenger?