Fallout 4 trailer

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Haldurson, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It's going to be taking place in Boston.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I will sell my genitals to buy this game. I have been waiting too many years for the next Fallout game. I will be very happy when we get it.

*Edit* I was waiting at the moment the countdown struck zero. If they did not release Fallout at that time, the riots would still be going on...

Haldurson likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Yeah, I'm excited also. I LOVED Fallout 3. I didn't love New Vegas, but I still have high hopes for this one.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

But won't this be, like, the sixth "Fallout" game?

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas. So five altogether unless I am forgetting something.

But BoS was not any good, and New Vegas, despite having a better engine was also awful compared to 3. How many versions of Windows are there? They are releasing Windows 10 soon. Yet anyone can see there are probably around 20 different versions of Windows, and many more if you include the different compiles like the x64 and x32 bit versions of each as separate entries.

They could call it Fallout "You Have to Name the New Version" and it would not bother me. (And Gaslamp Games would probably get a kick out of that too.)

Haldurson likes this.
  6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Which would make this next one number six.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yes. Forgive my less than clear message.

Haldurson likes this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Seven, if you count Fallout Tactics (a game which I remember liking a lot). I don't think I ever tried BoS, because of what I'd heard about it. BoS and Tactics were more spin-offs than games in the same series -- kind of like the FPS version of XCom was sort of, but not really an XCom game. It's odd though that New Vegas is not considered 4 though. Could it be that they are doing this as a kind of statement, to distance themselves from Obsidian?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

BIG IRON

BIG IRON

HE'S HERE TO DO SOME BUSINESS WITH THE BIG IRON ON HIS HIP

BIG IRON ON HIS HIP...

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Fallout 3 and New Vegas had the absolute best music in any game I ever played. Period. Even reading that first line of your post puts that song in my head for the remainder of the day.

In most games I play, I disable the music. But the Fallout games are the exception. Something about the music adds to the feeling of a post apocalyptic wasteland in a very favorable way.

Haldurson likes this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The music was perfect for that retro-futuristic feel. I tend not to be a fan of game music. I also disable the music after a while in almost all games I play. The few that I usually have let play the longest are the Fallout games, Civ 5, and Skyrim. It may be partly that I don't care much for the mind-numbing repetition that seems to plague music in games. Music should be more expressive and have more 'personality' than what I normally hear in games. You can tell with those games I mentioned that the music was not an afterthought, that a lot of work went into fitting the music to the game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I should point out that I made a mistake. "Brotherhood of Steel" was the later part of the name for "Fallout Tactics". So there are five.
    Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas.

Bohandas is right. This will be the sixth.

*Edit* Here is a link to prove it.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/38420/

Haldurson likes this.
  13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Yeah, FNV's music is awesome.

That said, I eventually wound up switching from the built-in music to a playlist I put together on my mp3 player that included most of the songs from the game PLUS a number of thematically appropriate but which the game's soundtrack left out, including Viva Las Vegas (the quintessential song about Vegas), O Fortuna (which on one hand is about luck and on the other hand is in the language of Caesar), and three different versions of Mack the Knife (which is a lounge song about people getting stabbed. Great for a melee character) PLUS a number of songs that were referenced by the quest titles.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That's misleading. In 2001, there was Fallout Tactics (I didn't remember the 'Brotherhood of Steel' was part of that title also). It had turn-based combat, which was central to the game. In 2004, there was, simply "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel", which was a more arcadish game designed to be run on consoles.

In general parlance, the first one was called, simply, Fallout Tactics, and the second was Brotherhood of Steel. I think most people must have forgotten (like me) that BoS was part of the title, so it was only the second game that was referred to as such in discussions.

BTW, I didn't remember this, but BoS was never, apparently, released for the PC. For some reason, I remember not buying it because it was an arcade game, when in fact, I had no console to play it on anyway lol.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_Brotherhood_of_Steel

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Thank you for the clarification. However now things are suddenly very murky. Here is a direct quote from Wikipedia's Fallout 4 page. "The game will be the fifth major installment in the Fallout series, and will be released on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One."

So apparently Wikipedia ran out of fingers to count upon...

*Edit* So that makes five on the PC if you count this one, and more if you include the other additions described in the article.

I have not preordered a game in many years, if ever, but this one I will.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  16. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I'm looking forward to Fallout 4, but I see no reason to pre-order when I can easily purchase it on the very day of release anyway.

Now, I did pre-order Batman: Arkham Knight, but that was because it was part of a limited-time 40% discount. ;)

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

If there's some special deal or reward for pre-orders, I might consider it. Right now, I'm trying to exercise some self-control, though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I am not sure if I can run Skyrim but I am pretty sure that I won't be able to run Fallout 4 when it comes out. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas were okay except the freaking VATS system crashed my game every time. Even with all of the fixes for the games out there, the VATS system would still crash my game every 3 or 4 uses. I had to play the entire games and their expansion packs as if VATS didn't exist making for a tougher game. Still, I had fun. Though even without using VATS, the game would crash at least 4 or 5 times a day so I had to save often.
    That being said, if I had a system that could run it, I would be getting it eventually. : ) I still will but it will be at some future date at which I finally get a new system.

19. I liked Fallout 3 (was not that impressed with the Beth's story, but the exploration and gear were fun enough), and REALLY liked New Vegas.

I hope F4 has the weapon mod system (or an advanced version) that was in New Vegas.

All that said though, the trailer for F4 actually dampened my enthusiasm for the game. Most underwhelming trailer I can think of for a game I should be excited for.

20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Notice the weapon held by the man at the end of the trailer. It looks like a non-functional hunting rifle with a laser pistol added on top. So either they already have some interesting weapons, or they have a weapons disassembly and reassembly system.

And that would make for a wonder to behold. ;)

Haldurson likes this.