The Steam Workshop and You: A Guide

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Daynab, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Starting with 1.0.11, modders who use the Steam version of Dredmor can publish their mods on the new Steam Workshop system, and players can browse through them, subscribe and the mods will be automatically updated when the author does.

http://dredmod.com/wiki/Uploading_a_Mod
    Note that Steam Launch Options should work as well if you put -publisher.

Once you have subscribed to a mod, it will appear in a new steam_workshop/subscribed folder AS A .DAT FILE, instead of the mods folder (same location, though) and you will be able to turn them on and off normally with the modloader.

Mod Authors: Keep in mind that since you upload the .zip of your mod and it gets converted into a .dat file, proper folder ordering is necessary. I know some of you still require users to extract the zip for them to work. Proper ordering would be where the mod/skills/items etc folders are immediately inside of the zip, not in a subfolder named after your mod. The game will detect them correctly then.

http://dredmod.com/wiki/How_To_Package_a_Mod if you need help.

If you have any questions or comments, ask them here and we will answer them!

2. Daynab

4/4 edit
    Okay: I was told the fully-functional workshop wouldn't be up until their technical guy at Valve would be back (the 16th I believe) but
    I was told sharing links would work. If anybody wants to give this a try please come on IRC and ping me, we'll see if it works.

3. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

This sounds... absolutely freaking amazing! Can't wait to subscribe to all my favorite mods. Quick question, though. I know Essense has a balance mod that modifies the original game files as it changes the core classes. I'm gonna guess that I'll still have to check that for updates here since it's not a mod in the standard sense...

4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Not until totalconversion="1" works, anyway.

5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

On the plus side, David has told me that he is folding the changes from my core revision and my expansion revision (except those he has 'a philosophical problem with') into the core game "soon", so hopefully the need for a core rebalance will largely go away. :)

I hope I wasn't supposed to keep that a secret. :)

Zook likes this.
  6. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

Actually, I think I heard about that already. It sounds vaguely familiar anyways.

7. Daynab

Okay: I was told the fully-functional workshop wouldn't be up until their technical guy at Valve would be back (the 16th I believe) but
    I was told sharing links would work. If anybody wants to give this a try please come on IRC and ping me, we'll see if it works.

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

... and it doesn't work. :D

*sigh* We'll get this sorted ASAP.

mining, Zook and Wi§p like this.
  9. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

I know you guys can get it working. I'm excitedly waiting for it. :)

EDIT: And gals, in case you have some ladies that work there as well.

10. No_chance

No_chance Member

Waiting anxiously for some development, The possibilities just sound amazing ;)
    One quick question, to download a mod do i need to go to some steam workshop website or can i just download it through the steam client?

11. Daynab

You can access the workshop through the client, yes.

12. Fayd

Fayd Member

So: Any news on the Steam Workshop front? If I recall correctly, you guys had to wait for the guy on Steam's end to get off vacation yesterday. Is progress being made to implement this on the mod user's end?

13. Daynab

I don't have an answer to give you right now, but we haven't forgotten about it.

14. Fayd

Fayd Member

15. Fatdude

Fatdude Member

How is this going?There hasnt been any info about this for a week.

16. Daynab

They just posted on the blog that they were still working on it. Sorry it's taking longer than expected, folks.

17. Fayd

Fayd Member

And understandably so! Certainly not how I expected things to go!

Daynab likes this.
  18. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

This is now working for testing, but you will have to join the Steam Community group for testing purposes. See the post in this thread entitled "Workshop Panicked Testing."

19. Daynab

20. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

Every time I try to run Dredmor with the -publisher option I get a popup saying "Can't talk to Steam Workshop, is the Steam Client running?" Yes, Steam is running. What the hell is this?