[Skill] Wrestling

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by ProtoMan, Jun 9, 2012.

1. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

---Wrestling---​
    -Level 1-​
    Piledriver​
    Damage 1 adjacent enemy for 6 crushing damage with a scale of 0.35, and paralyze it for 3 turns. Downtime:8​
    +1 :burliness:
    -Level 2-​
    Some People Think They Can Outsmart Me​
    "Maybe... Maybe... But I have yet to see one that outsmarts muscle!"​
    +5 :life: , +2 :melee_power: , -10 :mana: , -4 :magic_power:

-Level 3-​
    Double Lariat​
    Deal 5 crushing damage with a scale of 0.30 to all adjacent enemies, and knock them back, deals 5 Righteous damage to caster. Downtime: 10​
    +2 :resist_crushing:
    -Level 4-​
    Professional Bear Wrestler​
    +5 :life: , +1 :melee_power: , +4 :resist_slashing: , +4 :resist_crushing:
    10% chance upon being hit to get buff- "A Manly Tear" (+1 :burliness: , +1 :melee_power: , 20 turns)​
    -Level 5-​
    The Manliest Refreshment​
    Materialize Vodka- Spawn 1 Vodka, Downtime:240​
    -Level 6-​
    From Russia With Love​
    Throws a Boulder that does 10 :dmg_blast: and 10 :dmg_crushing: with a scale of 0.30 in a large area (template 99) and hits the monster in the center for 5 :dmg_crushing: with a scale of 0.30, consumes vodka buff​
    +1 :burliness:
    -Level 7-​
    My Way​
    A digging beam that requires the buff from Vodka to work. It consumes the buff as well.​
    -Items-​
    Vodka​
    Price:40, MP:20, Primary Level:4​
    Effect: Vodka Power​
    +3 :burliness: , +5 :melee_power: , +5 :armor_asorb: , Timer:32, No Stacking​
    (Note: All scaling uses :burliness:)
    Code:
    Version 0.1:
    "Materialize  Vodka" broken
    "From Russia With Love" animation broken

Version 0.2:
    Fixed "Materialize Vodka"

Version 0.3:
    Added Ability to "Professional Bear Wrestler"- "I've Fought Bears That Hit Harder Than That!"
    Added ability to make Vodka into Aqua Vitae
    Still can't fix that boulder animation...

Version 0.5:
    Added another level to the tree: My Way
    Fixed the boulder animation
    Buffed Piledriver damage
    Buffed Double Lariat Damage
    Decreased down time on all but Piledriver
    Massively nerfed Professional Bear Wrestler buffs
    Changed Professional Bear Wrestler resistance from piercing to crushing.
    Changed Professional Bear Wrestler proc to "A Manly Tear"
    Nerfed From Russia With Love

Version 1.0:
    Added custom art to Piledriver, Proffessional Bear Wrestler, and My Way.
    Added custom art to A Manly Tear
    Added custom sprite for vodka

Version 1.1:
    Nerfed From Russia With Love's central damage
    Made From Russia With Love use Vodka's Buff similar to My Way
    Reduced cooldown on From Russia With Love to 1 (The vodka thing is plenty)

Attached Files:

2. Aegho

Aegho Member

Spawn doesn't work with food/booze, use spawnitemfromlist.

3. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

>does this
    >boots DoD
    >uses ability
    >"Dungeons of Dredmor has stopped working..."
    >tears of blood

Although thank you, that's certainly progress.
    Of course, this also means the problem is deeper rooted than I thought...

4. Aegho

Aegho Member

Code:
    <spell name="Materialize Vodka" type="self" downtime="240" consumeItem="0" icon="skills/alcohol_poisoning32.png" >
        <description text="Oh, Vodka, how sweet you are!"/>
        <effect type="spawnitemfromlist">
            <option name="Vodka"/>
        </effect>
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/psionic_generic/psionic_generic" frames="5" framerate="70" sfx="ping"/>
      </spell>

5. zellking

zellking Member

im imagining slashing and crushing for professional bear wrestler, since bears have claws, which they swipe with, and are heavy.

6. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Derp. I never would have thought of using the option tag.
    Thanks, this worked like a charm. Uploaded new version.

The piercing is the claws as well.
    I don't know. I was tempted to make it aethereal just so it's useful against dredmor.
    I suppose it could be crushing/piercing/slashing, with +3 instead of +4.

7. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Would making vodka brew into aqua vitae be a little overpowered considering a dedicated space bar spammer would then have infinite aqua vitae?

8. Aegho

Aegho Member

On a 240 turn timer? Probably not that big of a danger, mind you they might get a fairly large stock just playing normally. Up to you, but there are better skills to pick if you want lots of aqua vitae(dire gourmand and fungal arts spring to mind).

9. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

-Update-
    Version 0.3:
    Added Ability to "Professional Bear Wrestler"- "I've Fought Bears That Hit Harder Than That!"
    Added still recipe to make Vodka into Aqua Vitae
    Tried to fix the boulder animation and ended up back where I started

10. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Ok, this boulder animation is bugging the crap out of me.
    Is there a widely accepted method of making the game play animations in order? I want it to go like this:
    Boulder is thrown -> ~1 second wait -> boulder drops, cracks -> template effect goes off

I was trying to do it like this: (pseudocode)
    Code:
    <spell name="From Russia With Love" type="targetfloor" >
        <effect type="trigger" spell="animation for throwing" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="animation for dropping" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Template Spell" />
    Because that seemed to be how dragon's breath did it in the original game's spellDB. It didn't work.
    I'm guessing I'm going about this wrong?

11. zellking

zellking Member

dragons breath uses 3 templates, so you may just want to steal it then modify it.
    good old bit of ctrl+F in the original spellDB really works when looking how to make spells

12. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Like I said, I tried copy pasting dragon breath, it didn't seem to work. I think it has something to do with the difference between targetFloor and target spells?
    I can try again, although at the moment I'm really sleepy, and bored of coding XML.

13. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Bawwwwww.

Code:
    <spell name="From Russia With Love" type="targetfloor" icon="skills/spells/boulderization32.png" downtime="56">
    <effect type="trigger" spell="BThrow" amount="0" />
    <effect type="trigger" spell="BDrop" amount="0" />
      </spell>
    <spell name="BThrow" type="self">
    <effect type="damage" crushing="0"/>
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/boulder_throw/boulder_throw" frames="3" firstframe="0" framerate="70" sfx="earth"/>
      </spell>
    <spell name="BDrop" type="target">
    <effect type="damage" crushing="20" crushingf="0.30"/>
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/boulder_drop/boulder_drop" frames="6" firstframe="0" framerate="100" sfx="earth" />
    <effect type="trigger" spell="BField" />
      </spell>
    <spell name="BField" type="template" templateid="99">
      <effect type="damage" blasting="10" crushing="10" crushingf="0.40" primaryscale="0"/>
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60" centerEffect="1" sfx="earth"/>
    </spell>
    It's exactly the same as dragon's breath, but I changed what I needed to. I had to screw with the spell types to get it to work at all. I kept the damage on throw/drop in case that was it.
    And it does the same thing as it did before.
    I honestly have to wonder if dragon's breath is hard-coded to work like that. :/

14. Aegho

Aegho Member

You must be missing something because dragon's breath uses a series of templates, each triggering the next.
    Try adding after="1" to the triggers for BDrop and BField. Also you don't need the damage line in the BThrow(unless you intend to change it from 0). Amount="0" I don't think does anything either and can safely be removed. (it means trigger them with a 0 turn delay).

If that doesn't work, create a custom 1x1 template with just the player position noted and affectsplayer="1", and use that for the spells you want leading up to the aoe at the end. Each triggering eachother in turn, this will basically do what dragon's breath does.

15. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

That's the problem, though. I can't use templates like that without changing the spell's effect by setting where it lands manually. I can't make BThrow a template because the caster would be the targeted floor, so that would be where the animation would play, even if I made the template 1x1. I honestly have no idea why BDrop didn't work as a 1x1 template, but it stopped the ability entirely. The one thing that I didn't even bother with was BField as a mine, so I should probably try that, but I can't imagine how that would change anything. But the triggers play exactly how dragon's breath does it.
    And yeah, most of those tags are there because dragon's breath does it like that.
    Maybe I could change it so that it has a 1-turn delay between throwing the boulder and it landing?

I also tried after="1", and it didn't work. Thanks though, between this and "materialize vodka" you've been a big help.

What I have:
    Code:
    <spell name="From Russia With Love" type="targetfloor" icon="skills/spells/boulderization32.png" downtime="15">
        <effect type="trigger" spell="BThrow" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="BDrop" after="1" />
      </spell>

<spell name="BThrow" type="self">
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/boulder_throw/boulder_throw" frames="3" firstframe="0" framerate="70" sfx="earth"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="BDrop" type="target">
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/boulder_drop/boulder_drop" frames="6" firstframe="0" framerate="100" sfx="earth" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="BField" after="1"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="BField" type="template" templateid="99">
      <effect type="damage" blasting="10" crushing="10" crushingf="0.40" primaryscale="0"/>
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60" centerEffect="1" sfx="earth"/>
    </spell>

16. Aegho

Aegho Member

Ok try this for BDrop.

Code:
    <templatedb>

<template width="3" height="3" name="11111" affectsPlayer="1">
      <row text="..."/>
      <row text=".#."/>
      <row text="..."/>
      </template>

</templatedb>

Code:
    <spell name="BDrop" type="template" templateID="11111">
        <effect type="trigger" spell="BField" after="1"/>
      </spell>

17. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Progress!
    The throwing and dropping animations still play at the same time, but it at least waits until the boulder drops before pulling the effect.
    I tried just giving the BDrop trigger a delay through amount="1", but that didn't work. Would I need to make BDrop a mine for that to work?

18. Aegho

Aegho Member

It MIGHT help to add an animation to From Russia With Love that lasts the same length as the BThrow animation. (It wouldn't need to actually show anything, just having the same number of frames, and same framerate, on a completely blank sprite).

You can test this idea easily by just copying the animation from BThrow to From Russia With Love, and see if it waits for that animation to play through before going on to the BDrop animation.

19. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Cool- I can't test this right now since I'm in a car, but I'll do it right when I get home.
    Thanks, again. You've been really helpful.

Edit: So this didn't work, but I did, eventually, get it working.
    This probably isn't exactly a good solution, but I just added a bunch of blank frames to the front of BDrop so that it syncs with BThrow.
    I know that's kind of cheap, but hey, it worked.

Aegho likes this.
  20. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Version 0.5:
    Added another level to the tree: My Way
    Fixed the boulder animation
    Buffed Piledriver damage
    Buffed Double Lariat Damage
    Decreased down time on all but Piledriver
    Massively nerfed Professional Bear Wrestler buffs
    Changed Professional Bear Wrestler resistance from piercing to crushing.
    Changed Professional Bear Wrestler proc to "A Manly Tear
    Nerfed From Russia With Love buff