[Skill] Summoner

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by FaxCelestis, May 20, 2012.

1. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Ever wanted to play Yuna in DoD?

[​IMG]
    ...no, not quite like that.

[​IMG]
    ...not that either.

[​IMG]
    ...closer.

summoner.jpg
    Yeah, just like that.

Over the course of this skill's career, you gain the ability to summon the avatars of six gods and demigods. Shakaaz, the brutal God of Mustaches; Rruk, the shapeshifter God of Trickery; Citadel, the Ascended Demigod of Constructs and Resilience; Illumina, the Raven Scribe, Goddess of Light and Literature; Rutaus the Dragon-King, Ascended Demigod of the Hoard; and finally Caelestia, the ethereal Goddess of the Heavens. These powerful allies will aid you in your attempts to erase the lich Dredmor from the world.

========

This is a very involved support skill, usable by anyone with a decent mana pool. Rather than give a rundown of what the skill does, I'm going to tell you how it works.

The first level of this skill summons the most basic form of summon: a blobby. However, whenever you cast one of the more advanced spells in this school, you acquire a summoning mode. When in a summoning mode, the summoning circle will summon a different monster.

Furthermore, the advanced spells of this school are multipurpose. Each one changes your summoning mode, but also gives a different buff (if you target your summon) or debuff (if you target your enemy). If you're interested in specifics, you can dig in the XML. I'm fairly confident you'll be able to figure out from the spell's descriptions and naming patterns what the basic gist of their functions are.

This is a first version. The summons are unique creatures and are eyeballed; I have not done extensive testing with them, though I expect feedback will change them over the course of this mod's lifespan. Of note: several of the summons have casting ability. However, due to the way the charm effect works, summoned creatures don't cast spells. At this time, then, their casting is broken. I have notified the devs about this (since it's an issue with the main game as well: charming an octo will make it use its weak physical attack rather than use its missiles, for instance) and I hope it'll be fixed soon. In the interim, enjoy.

You WILL need RotDG and YHTNTEP in order to use this mod. Rruk, Illumina, and Caelestia use assets from those expansions. If you don't have YHTNTEP, you can go onto the IRC channel and get the beta there.

========
    Changelog
    Code:
    Changes for 1.5:
    Gods
    *Bakar shrine crash fixed.
    *Berylinthranox's blessing should no longer affect the player with debilitating toxin.
    Code:
    Changes for 1.4:
    Spells
    *Added unique sprites for the diggle gods added by this mod.
    *Removed mana upkeep from Summoning Circle effects.
    Code:
    Changes for 1.3:
    Items
    *Added loadout equip for summoner. (actually added in 1.2 but the sprite was misindexed. It's fixed now).
    Code:
    Changes for 1.2:
    monDB
    *Removed extraneous type/subtype values.

spellDB
    *Added spells for shrines
    *Changed Shakaaz's activated abilities from "self" to "target'. While they don't do anything right now, they may in the future.

rooms
    *Added shrines to the six summons.
    Code:
    Changes for 1.1:
    monDB
    *fixed all instances of numFit to be the correct numFig. Fighter-type summons should no longer be one-hit wonders.
    *Avatar of Citadel now uses unique sprites.

Attached Files:

Essence and OmniNegro like this.
  2. But can we summon the Chaos General?

Edit: What's your plan for keeping the spells/summons relevant on the deepest floors while not wrecking the early game?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. FaxCelestis

No, but you can summon the avatar of the God of Mustaches.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. That... will certainly do. You've sold me on it, now, though I'll have to tweak it to not require RotDG content. (maybe the OP could stand to include a "why this skill is cool as hell")

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Dude, you don't have RotDG? WTF not? You want me to gift it to you?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Deceptively good. I like.

It will largely replace Golemancy after the summons get the ability to cast so it can work as you intended. (Right now, the only thing Golemancy has going for it is Digging Ray.)

7. FaxCelestis

Doing now.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. FaxCelestis

New version!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

Looks interesting. Being a fan of dragons, however, I'll likely be using Rutaus as early and as often as possible. XD

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Would it be possible to have a low chance to accidentally botch a summon to actually summon a hostile monster? If so then you could drastically ramp up the summoned monsters stats while not always making this a beneficial spell.

And would you consider a summon of a bunch of "Lemming Diggles"? You can use the template of the Meteorology summon spell that evades my memory. They would not be even useful in battle except in taking a hit or two before they die, but they would compensate by having several summoned at once for a low cost.

Already this looks much better than Golemancy except the lack of a Digging Ray... :) Yuck. I said that last post. Well it remains true, but I dislike repeating myself.

11. FaxCelestis

Summoning without an active summoning circle will summon a blobby, which is pretty much your lemming diggle.

The summoning process, however, is already pretty involved, and I'd rather not have it have a fail chance simply because of how much more complex the code would be.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

While that remains true, the blobby is still only one summon. Right now the Meteorology skill is more attractive than this since it does summon four clones.

I have yet to dive deep enough to test if any of the advanced summons can take more than a hit or two before dying, but I think it is almost if not literally impossible to make them resilient enough for deep floors without making it awfully unbalanced on higher floors.

*Edit* And the only time I actually enjoyed the Meteorology skill was when I manually edited out the meat on kill part of it. It really clutters things up.

13. KiiDLiv3Wir3

KiiDLiv3Wir3 Member

YHTNTEP ?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Werediggler

Werediggler Member

You Have To Name the Expansion Pack, the free DLC that's in the works and has been in beta for a month of so. You can pick it up from the IRC channel.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. FaxCelestis

UPDATED to version 1.2. This mod is now also on the workshop.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. FaxCelestis

UPDATED to version 1.3.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. FaxCelestis

Look for these upcoming summons in future versions (accessible via special consumables):

[​IMG]
    Bakar, the Terrible Wendigo
    [​IMG]
    Berylinthranox the Venomous
    [​IMG]
    Casen, the Mad Rider
    [​IMG]
    Cherche, Seeker of Truth
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Elemental Scions, Earthshaker, Firedancer, Rainmaker, and Windrider
    [​IMG]
    Erymethea, the Red Archer
    [​IMG]
    Fax Celestis XVI, Chosen of Krong
    [​IMG]
    Ironshod, the Living Fortress
    [​IMG]
    Keltan, One of Many
    [​IMG]
    Praxiteles Pankratios, the Volcano
    [​IMG]
    Serpentine, the Artist of Life
    [​IMG]
    Silence Mordekai, Master of Shadow
    [​IMG]
    Tojanida, the Bearer of the World
    [​IMG]
    The Undying Court, Rulers of This Life and the Next
    [​IMG]
    Wub-Wub, the Dancing Samurai
    [​IMG]
    Xiu Lin Bai, the Glory of the Morning
    [​IMG]
    Xochiquetzal Tetzauhcohuatontli, Flower-Feather the Serpent of Omens

Kazeto, OmniNegro and Essence like this.
  18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

How on Earth can you have so many? I presume it will randomly select one out of a list of possibles based upon what level of Summoning skill you have and/or use and what consumables used as well?

And where is the Taco-Diggle? We really need that one even if only for grins. :)

19. FaxCelestis

No, it'll be "eat this consumable to activate their summoning circle buff, so that you can then summon them with the Summoning Circle ability"

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Where are these from? Definitely not FF summons.

OmniaNigrum likes this.