Sewer Brew achievment.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by ChrisFiftyTwo, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ChrisFiftyTwo

ChrisFiftyTwo Member

Saw this achievement being added to the game:
    Sewer Brew
    Attend the Gaslamp Games 2011 Penny Arcade Expo Drinking Event.

I would be really disappointed if this is something outside of the game as that would limited to SUCH a limited number of people that would be able to get it...specially since most of us cant get there even if we wanted.

I want games to be 100%able for all people who just are good enough or spend enough time on them. But if there is something I need to do, in another country, once in a lifetime that is not connected to anything you do in game.

Not everyone cares for achievements and some might not care about them being 100% able (so they dont care for achievements like this one) but for for me and my friends who enjoy hunting achievements on a regular basis (we have a community based around it) its a big thing. A big part of our enjoyment come out of trying to get all achievements and its becoming impossible to get them all you are hurting the part of the community that enjoys it the most.

I hope you reconsider adding this achievement or adding something into the game to make it doable there.
    Hope my random rambling makes sense.

Best wishes,
    Chris

Met likes this.
  2. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I actually like the idea of an exclusive achievement. I'm not going (I don't drink, and I am nowhere near PAX), but if I were, then it would be pretty neat. It's a petty thing to complain about, since I see this as a way for the devs to thank those who are showing up. It's like a gift. To tell them they can't give someone a gift, well...

Not that I can't understand wanting the achievement, but it is a rather small thing. I suppose my view stems from the fact that I believe achievements should add to game value, but not be a driving factor behind the game. This is one of the things I've always disliked about TF2. It's like a friendly and talkative waitress. It's not necessary to make the meal enjoyable, but it does make the experience more pleasant.

So, I understand what you are saying, but I think it's actually a really cool idea. :D

3. ChrisFiftyTwo

ChrisFiftyTwo Member

I do understand that point of view as well but think it could have been done differently somehow, a bonus patch that could give your character a pin on his chest say "Pax" or something in-game named after them (as long as there is not an insane number of people showing up).

Rewarding people is cool but shame when it in ways ruins a tiny part of the fun for others. I understand if they leave it in but I thought I should bring my opinion to light so I have a chance effecting one of my favourite games as of late :)

Lets see if we can get a dev comment on it and see where things land :)

4. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Those are both neat ideas too. I think the pin isn't doable though, due to the way animations are done (each frame was animated by hand).

5. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Regarding the achivement. Is it possible to rig the system so that the attendees who show up for the event get it, as planned, but those of us who can't go don't even have it listed? That way we'd still have the chance of getting 100% achievements -- just those who could go to PAX have, what, 102%?

6. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

It is a shame there aren't more Expo/gamedevs doing stuff in the UK :(

7. KotHN

KotHN Member

+1 vote for not having an exclusive achievement. I won't stop playing the game, but still. Lame. Completionists will revolt, I'm telling you.

8. I'm a completionist, but I am up for this achievement. Maybe assistants could get some other reward instead like it's been sugested, but I wouldn't be mad at the achievement itself, rather at PAX for being too far away :<

9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

When I was younger and before steam, I used to attend gaming conventions. It was common practice for game companies to distribute exclusive freebies only to convention attendees -- this has been standard practice for many years, and I don't see a problem with it.

Jealousy is an understandable emotion, but you need to get over it. It comes from the wrongful belief in ones entitlement.

10. 1wolffan

1wolffan Member

I like the idea of having the bonus achievements for folks, but like it was said prior, maybe have 100% for all the other achievements, plus one additional percent per bonus event. That way the completionist can still get their 100%, but the folks who get the event can have something special too.

11. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

They should do a UK tour.

By UK I mean near me in the UK.

By tour I mean pub crawl.

;)

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yeah, I hear your pain. So "Sewer Brew" is going to be for attending any old drinking event with us.

That said, I still have to figure out the right way to do this.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Don't have it count to the 100% achievement. Don't know how that's possible, but that's the only way to appease the majority here.

14. Nicholas

I'll have to talk to Valve about this. Maybe if I make it hidden. (I don't think the crashing one counts either.)

15. ChrisFiftyTwo

ChrisFiftyTwo Member

Hidden achievements counts towards the total. They are simply just not shown until you have unlocked them or look at the "global achievement" list (http://steamcommunity.com/stats/DungeonsOfDredmor/achievements/) were they are shown but simply does not show the description. I am glad that you are considering a solution to my request but in the end it is your choice and your game and I respect that your final choice.

Sadly can't figure out a working solution within Valves current achievement system if you want to keep the achievement as it is (or altered to be any drinking event). Guess I'll have to be fine with never being able to get the achievement and maybe in the end have a 99% completion as you simply cant please everyone (or go everywhere since I doubt you will ever be close to small little Sweden so I could attend.

Thanks for a great and addictive game though. Will have a great time hunting down all the achievements you have added.

16. Nicholas

That's not necessarily true, actually. I think Daniel was making noise about how "oh, we have to attend a games conference in Europe."

I, on the other hand, like to think of it as taking the fight to Mojang.

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, Notch strikes me as a sporting fellow. :) So he won't send creepers to blow you up. :)
    Seriously though, do whatever it is that you wish to do. I'm not an achievement hunter, but I can understand why it would be extremely annoying to add something only a select few can get. Unless you fly to Raleigh, North Carolina. Then I can go drinking with you. :)

18. Nicholas

Honorary Gaslamper and wizard of SDL, Ryan C. Gordon, is in Charlotte, North Carolina. Buy him a beer and we'll give you the achievement.

19. Despayre

Despayre Member

I'm just sad that I didnt check in for a week or two since I knew that the patch wasnt going to be ready yet and I didnt know about the PAX event until after I got home from PAX on saturday. DOH!

20. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Nicholas But I can't drive. :( It's a choice, based on my mental disorder, Asperger's Syndrome,
    Anyhow, can you send beer in the mail? :) Gift certificates for free beer.