Sapphire ring of the Deepest Skies = Nigh Invulnerable

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Wootah, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Wootah

Wootah Member

So I have a build that I meant to go all caster. It doesn't have a single warrior talent.
    But then I found this ring in a pool... and it is amazing. Almost too good, like there is something that is working that shouldn't be.

The healing rain is pretty awesome... as far as I can tell it is turning me into a super tank.
    Granted this build has stacked :magic_resist: and tons of resistance gear, but really, I can chop through anything.
    The healing rain should be giving me 6:life:, but there are times when I jump 40:life: in a shot and I have NO idea why.

I have seen numbers pop up from getting slapped by muscle diggles, 30 damage. But my bar doesn't even move. Like, where did that damage go?

I have attached the save file.
    Version: Beta 1.1.3 Release 3
    All Expansions.
    Floor 11 - Just opened the Zoo.
    GR (Perma death is off because I didn't think this build would work at all, and probably wouldn't without the ring).

And really you can just melee things to death. It seems counter intuitive that a caster should have such an easy time meleeing. I stopped looting anything long ago. Every floor is easy. Keeping radiant aura up is important for :edr:, but other than that, you only need to psychic staple your target if you get low on health so they are stunned and a few melee wacks and you are good to go.

Named pose the only threat, but the entire arsenal of spells which I almost never use is available for those. Not to mention a godly crossbow (or two) with eldritch arrows for those makes them meaningless as well.

Am I missing something?

Attached Files:

2. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

just so you know, nigh invulnerable is not "tanked all the guys on floor X"

nigh invulnerable is "stood next to Count Diggula and tanked more than three hits"

3. Wootah

Wootah Member

Fair enough, but a single item that can negate most of the game is pretty crazy.
    The fact that Count Diggula exists at all is somewhat of a gag. If there were a ring that made tanking Count Diggula easy, and then someone at GLG surreptitiously added in another even tougher entity, would your counter argument still apply?

4. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

There are two rings that make tanking count diggula easy, one is the ring of Iron thorns, the other is the shrike's ring.

Of course if you can tank count diggula you've basically won the game.

100+ counterattack is "nigh invulnerability" It's not complete invulnerability, because there's still some stuff that can hurt you-- but it's pretty freakin' invulnerable if you ask me.

5. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

You're getting healed that much in a turn because the healing rains stack.

6. Indiggles

Indiggles Member

After reading the above thread, I am pretty sure that ring is the only reason my last Dredmor kill actually made it to Dredmor.

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Looking into this.