Rutabagas are Evil!

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by TheKirkUnited, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Dwarf Fortress full circle, I dare say.

Give players certain death, and they start farming it for stuff...

2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Except, unlike Dwarf Fortress, this game is easier to understand. :)

Yeah, I'm thinking, with what others have said, and my experience with their charges, that it's a fluke that they do insane damage.
    Because I can't think of any other reason...
    IT needs to be fixed, indeed.

3. Artful Diggle

Artful Diggle Member

Oh really now? Rutabagas can do that? I was -very- lucky to have survived in my latest, most sucessful random build run, Vegan Wizard. I was charged by those a fair few times, but they never did more than 20-25 damage (which isn't too bad as I try to not get hit often). Luck is a good part of avoiding death in Dungeons of Dredmor for sure, but such a vast damage range simply feels out of place, if a wizard can get hit for only about 20 damage while a heavily armored warrior can get instakilled by a few charges.

Yes, yes I was playing on Going Rogue.

4. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

In my experience, as a heavily armored warrior, that their damage is glitched as all hell, which is why to me, and you, they don't do huge damage a shot.
    I hope the bug does get fixed though.

5. lordbulb

lordbulb Member

I already lost two characters to those bastards on L9. Mandragoras or whatever. I was on full health, 80+ and before I know it I was dead after one of those charged me.

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Yeesh. Yes, something is really glitchy on their damage.

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Not necessarily glitchy, I dare say it's just not yet fully balanced and we aren't used to fighting that kind of opponent.

8. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

Damage doesn't always interrupt the charge. I've seen a few get stunned when they take a hit or run over spikes, but I also had one charge over 3 caltrops (taking damage) and one-shot me from 50 HP to dead, level 4 or 5.

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

True, however, something is wonky, when I take almost no damage from a charge by an Ancient Rutabega, and people get One-hit killed by them with 90 health, and probably better armor than me at the time.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

But you are playing on a different difficulty setting, and they didn't know that when you were talking about the differences in damage.

11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Er. While that is the case. Dwarfish Moderation is also affected by the bug.
    I'm not sure how this bug can only affect Dwarfish Moderation and Going Rogue, unless there is something seriously wrong with the game's programming code for Ancient Rutabegas.
    And I pointed out my difficulty selection far above. Unless I remembered wrong.

I'm just not sure how the monster power multiplier is capable of 4 times the damage on Dwarfish moderation as it should be on Elvish Easy. :)
    And yeah, they're not supposed to do 80 damage a shot, because that's around 4 times the damage maximum they can do normally on a critical hit with no resistances.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's probably not just damage, but something else that is tied to the difficulty level. Either way, without comparing your saves there isn't anything I can say that I would be sure of here, other than the fact that everything can be a factor in this.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I will agree with you on that, everything could be the factor.

14. Auntyjack

Auntyjack Member

I too became a martyr to a rutabaga in a level 5 zoo. Next time I go to the grocers, I will buy some and enact a horrible revenge...

15. ToasterTank

ToasterTank Member

So... I got run down by a rutabaga today!
    As far as I could tell, the reason for dying isn't insane damage, it's insane debuffs.
    I checked my debuffs and I had 17(!) instances of food poisoning. That's -136hp!
    I mean, seriously :p And this was just lvl 5!
    Anyone have any idea how food poisoning works?

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, in real life it's not that bad. :)
    I mean, it can kill you, but it's not instant.

I wonder if the people being killed got killed by the hit, or the debuffs.
    I know I've gotten food poisoning, which is absurdly overpowered in it's own right. I'd rather be hit by acid bolt traps every turn for 13 turns. :)
    At least you can resist acid damage.

17. Ravel

Ravel Member

For me it was the debuffs. Just found this thread by googling "Food Poisoning Dungeons of Dredmor". I didn't see how many stacks I had, but it was enough to drop me from about 110hp to zero in a single hit.

Like many others, I was clearing out the level 5 zoo on Going Rogue.

I didn't see how many rutabagas were in the zoo..., but I had probably cleared out about 1/4-1/3 of it before going back in to pull a few more. I had maxed Smithing, Beserker, and Archaeology and was dual-wielding swords, with Swordplay, Artful Dodger, Assassination, and Dual-Weilding as my other skills (if any of that makes any difference, in case this is a bug).

18. doorhandle

doorhandle Member

Apparently, it's part of a debuff they cause: Food poisoning. However it procs, it seems like it can proc off itself, resulting in instant death if you are unlucky.

19. Frelus

Frelus Member

Really, after checking the code, the only thing I can think of that could be causing this bug is that charges add multiple times their effect for every field they charged.

20. Createx

Createx Member

Yep, it's the debuff that kills you mostly. I was at full life, which is 99, and died in one turn due to getting a stack of 12 food poisonings, thus bringing my max life down to veeeery low. I had 20 AA and a bunch of resistances. Nothing till then could really touch me, even Great Pumpkinn and Named Mobs weren't any trouble.
    The charge itself isn't that deadly.

Attached Files: