[REL] Chucky's Crossbow Carnival (bolts + crafting)

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Puce Moose, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

[​IMG]

Chucky's Crossbow Carnival
    Author: Puce Moose
    Current Version: 1.1
    August.31.2012

Requirements:
    Realm of the Diggle Gods
    You have to Name the Expansion Pack
    Conquest of the Wizardlands

Chucky's happy to see you, and he's brought a crossbow carnival of fun with him! A carnival *for* crossbows, not *of* crossbows, he's quick to remind you (in his adorably slurred, whiskey-scented way).

This mod adds several new bolts, as well as bolt crafting recipes. Most ingots can now be used to craft bolts, and the recipes to craft these basic bolts are not hidden (given to the player at the start of the game.) The merrier and more carnivalicious of Chucky's bolts must be crafted from recipes obtained by rifling through bookcases or other invasive activity.

All of Chucky's bolts feature new (or, at least, recolored) artwork, stats, and descriptions. An attempt has been made to balance the bolts compared to vanilla assets in terms of price, power, and availability. Chucky brooks no cheek from atmosphere-breaking flavor, so each description has been constructed with an eye toward Chucky's particular sensibilities. The flavor text designer has no desire to repeat the incident with Chucky involving the combination (in no particular order) of an overly-technical description, a wildly inappropriate slur, and a nearly-empty bottle of Meleagris gallopavo being used as a blunt instrument.

A few shots of the new goodies in action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A list of bolts follows:

Key: ( )
    0: The player has the recipe for this bolt at the start of the game.
    1: The player must find the recipe for this bolt.
    -: No recipe exists for this bolt; they can only be found/purchased, not crafted.
    A: The bolt has additional effects (some conditional) beyond straight damage. Paying attention to the bolt's description can help reveal optimal targets/situations for the bolt.

(0) Aluminum Bolt
    (0) Barbed Aluminum Bolt
    (0) Cruelly Barbed Aluminum Bolt
    (0) Ingeniously Scythed Aluminum Bolt

(0) Brass Bolt
    (0) Barbed Brass Bolt
    (0) Cruelly Barbed Brass Bolt
    (0) Ingeniously Scythed Brass Bolt

(0) Electrum Bolt
    (0) Barbed Electrum Bolt
    (0) Cruelly Barbed Electrum Bolt
    (0) Ingeniously Scythed Electrum Bolt

(0A) Gold Bolt
    (0A) Barbed Gold Bolt
    (0A) Cruelly Barbed Gold Bolt
    (0A) Ingeniously Scythed Gold Bolt

(0) Platinum Bolt
    (0) Barbed Platinum Bolt
    (0) Cruelly Barbed Platinum Bolt
    (0) Ingeniously Scythed Platinum Bolt

(0A) Silver Bolt
    (0A) Barbed Silver Bolt
    (0A) Cruelly Barbed Silver Bolt
    (0A) Ingeniously Scythed Silver Bolt

(0A) Tin Bolt
    (0A) Barbed Tin Bolt
    (0A) Cruelly Barbed Tin Bolt
    (0A) Ingeniously Scythed Tin Bolt

(0A) Zinc Bolt
    (0A) Barbed Zinc Bolt
    (0A) Cruelly Barbed Zinc Bolt
    (0A) Ingeniously Scythed Zinc Bolt

(-A) Bolt of the Harvest
    (1A) Caltrops Bolt
    (1A) Diamond Bolt
    (1A) Emotional Proxy Bolt
    (1A) Eye of the Devil Bolt
    (1A) Lukewarm Bolt
    (1A) Sapphire Bolt
    (1A) Stoppered Deth Bolt
    (-A) The Twilight Bolt
    (1A) Turducken Bolt

Tools:
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 (image processing)
    Notepad++ (.xml processing)

Credits:
    http://www.vectorportal.com (image of the friendly clown head in the Steam Workshop image)
    http://www.arthursclipart.org (image of the squire in the Steam Workshop image)

Glazed for the hyper-stellar, super-trippy magic of the XML Validator (http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/mod-xml-validator.3390/)
    The Gaslamp Games Community for being a cooler, help-ier, less-psycho version of the sort one generally encounters on the mighty burbling streams of the Internet
    Gaslamp Games for obvious reasons
    Chucky because please don't hurt me

This mod should be available on the Steam Workshop by now, but if you'd prefer to rock it old school you can download it directly from this tidy little link.

Version 1.0 of my first mod for this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if I made some mistakes. If you run into any balance issues, bugs, or just wish to comment, fill out some white space below. Forgive Chucky's font irregularities; that was something he (it!?!) demanded during contract negotiations, and I was loathe to argue.

Hugs and kisses, Puce Moose

Cody, LionsDen, Konork and 2 others like this.
  2. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

Chucky swung (or rather, staggered) by today with a filthy rucksack filled with some new goodies!

Version 1.1 adds the following:

Three new bolts:

Steam Bolt
    Disassembler Bolt
    Bolt of Light and Shadow

Bows:
    Holy Light Crossbow
    Unholy Light Crossbow
    Balanced Crossbow
    Acid Bath Crossbow
    Cryotic Crossbow
    Sure Shot Bow
    Snake Fang Bow

Bug fix:
    Non-transparent image for the ingeniously scythed electrum bolt.

Has anyone had a chance to use the new bolts? I haven't had any bug reports, so that seems like a good sign. On the other hand, I do hope that they are showing up in people's games.

Here's a direct link to the new 1.1 file.

I haven't updated it in the Steam Workshop yet, so if you're doing a manual install just let this file replace the existing files.

Thanks for checking it out!

Updated credits:

http://www.opengameart.org for several of the crossbow images
    http://www.iconarchive.com/show/black-knight-icons-by-calle/Crossbow-icon.html Calle for the crossbow image

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Sure we have lots of bolts here.
    I'll try that, I love more items, if those items are followed by an appropriate and unique sprite.

4. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Member

I hope you enjoy it. Every bolt/bow has a unique sprite (though, to be fair, many are modified versions of existing sprites.) There are several completely new sprites, as well as new descriptions.

Emotional Proxy Bolt: The perfect way to displace any lingering shame, depression, sociopathic tendencies, anxiety, ennui, or just plain old leprosy.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I tried this out for a few games and I have to say that the Turducken Bolt is by far my favorite. Is there some way you could make a high level recipe for it? I would make a million of them and never have any inventory space ever

edit: woops i just discovered that there is a recipe :eek: