Need serious help with debugging my new skill (the Bard) HELP!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bohandas, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Ok, I put together a rock and roll themed "Bard" class, but it seems to have some serious issues that I need help to debug. Maybe one of you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1.) The biggest issue is a spell called "Feed the Multitude" (the ability for the capstone level, "Bigger Than Jesus") which for whatever reason causes the game on startup (it is commented out in the version uploaded here, which allows the game to load up)

2.) The abilities associated with the class do not appear on the skillbelt and cannot be selected

3.) The Wand of Magnets ("How does it work!?") causes the game to crash when used on a monster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Kazeto likes this.
  2. Syphonix

Syphonix Member

There appears to be a problem with your zip file. It's 22 bytes in size and contains no files.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Sorry about that; I don't know what happened there.

The correct file is up now.

4. Syphonix

Syphonix Member

Here's your zip file with my edits. What I changed/noticed:

- Various syntax errors. Even 1 single missing letter or a typo will often bring a mod to its knees. Run your XML through a syntax checker whenever possible.

- You inserted a custom graphic to be used as the missile effect for Feed the Multitude. Any PNG files that are going to be used for animation or looping needs to end in a 4-digit number. Frame 1 is always 0000, frame 2 is 0001, and so on. I added 0000 to the file name.

- There were comments in your spellDB.xml that were being read as part of the code. Attempting to put a comment inside of another comment ends in disaster. There are good programs that can help you spot things like this (and many other errors.) I suggest Notepad++.

- The file names for your skill PNGs are obscenely long. I don't know what a spell_fire0_64_Metal_Hand_B_Mirrored_horns_C_Purple_Background.png is, but it's going to haunt me in my sleep tonight. So thanks for that.

- The only thing that appeared to stop the Wand of Magnets from working is the order of the spells. If a spell calls upon another, you should put the spells being called upon ABOVE the spell calling it. (By the way, I added it in for starting equipment. You'll have to remove that.)

- Not sure this is intended, but I estimate that Feed the Multitude created about 350 Bread and Lutefisk items.

I didn't really test anything for functionality. I don't know what's intended for each spell.

Attached Files:

• Bard.zip
      File size:
      412.3 KB
      Views:
    Kazeto, Vitellozzo and Essence like this.
  5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Thanks. It works with your edits :)

Syphonix likes this.
  6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I tried to tweak some stuff and it went back to not working properly. Can anybody figure out what went wrong with this modified version?

EDIT: I'm reasonably sure that something in my changes to spellDB is responsible for the resumed crashes as I've tested pasting the new craftDB and encrustDB, and the expanded text.xml into the most recent working version of the mod and it retained its stability with just those added in.

Attached Files:

• V015.zip
      File size:
      483.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  7. Syphonix

Syphonix Member

There is one very minor error in your spellDB that is throwing it off. I'll just go ahead and link this little thing here again.

8. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Why does that crash the game preemptively rather than simply crashing when that spell is cast?

9. Syphonix

Syphonix Member

It's hard to say. Some syntax errors cause the game to crash on load while others can cause part or all of that particular file to be ignored, but still run without crash. From what I have seen, the game won't crash from an individual spell unless it calls for functions or files that don't exist or can't be used in context, such as a missing PNG. I imagine it has to do with the order and manner in which the files are loaded by the engine, but honestly I have no idea.

Bohandas likes this.
  10. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Fair enough.

11. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

For anyone interested, here is the latest, now crash free and greatly expanded, version of the mod
    (Requires you to also have Iccorp's "Roguish Renovation" mod)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Kazeto likes this.