March 2012 *Multiplayer* build and save exchange program...

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by OmniaNigrum, Mar 8, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The following is my reply to Rarefied Horse Meat in this thread:
    http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/dod-multiplayer-ideas.2243/#post-26197

I have a better idea. You have more experience with all this stuff than I. You decide upon the client version, the mods, and the skills to use. The goal if you will agree, is to beat the game at any cost. We each take a turn of a level. PD off. We can backup the save and save scum as needed to beat each level. We should aim to make the character viable and not cut the wind from the other players sails.

While not required, it would be a courtesy to drop items that the other player had by the stairwell we will descend at the end of our turn. (Obviously only valid for items removed that the other player may have had a use for. Like when we change weapons. to something we consider better, but the other player may not agree about.)

Feel free to try and try again if you fail to finish a level. We do not descend until the level and quests are completed. It would be very helpful to notify the next player that there are Anvils/Lukefisk shrines unused on the level when we upload our finished turn savegame. (I sometimes pass them up until I have a good item to enchant, or enough lutefisk to make a worthy offering.)

I (And anyone else wanting to join) will uninstall and reinstall a clean version of the client of whatever version you decide upon. And the same for the mods. (Be careful to let me know if using any outdated mods, as I will otherwise use the newest version available.)

This is as close as can be had to Cooperative play. If you decide to "Share" a save that is about to die in a turn or two, please consider that a failure and try again unless the character build is simply not going to work. We should always start a turn at the stairs, right (Before or After?) the descent. (If before, save scumming would net you a new dungeon level every time you try it. If after it will be static and unchanging. Your call.)

I am using Windows 7 x64. What OS are you using? (Only asking since Mac limits the choices of mods and versions considerably, and I have no Mac.)

I am thinking of the following simple mod build:
    Roguish Renovations
    Clockwork Knights
    (And Megacrafts Mod if you want it too.)
    Dire Gourmand (Because everyone needs booze to cast from.)
    And finally Interior Dredmorating. if you can get it to work in the client build of your choice. It works fine, ignore that garbage.

The reason for the above? Radiant Wizard is so very squishy. It can be played, but it is made of silly-putty and explodes when hit. I have never managed to get one past DL4. Clockwork Knights is awesome, as is Interior Dredmorating. And I think you may have heard of Dire Gourmand before. :)

Obviously the only skill I must insist upon if you can get that mess working together is Radiant Wizard. But if you make it all melee you are clearly wanting to mess with me. (I have a sense of humor, but Radiant Wizards are the squishiest of all.)

If you have a better idea, let me know. Mayhaps I should go ahead and make a thread, since this is getting pretty long. (Feel free if you like.)

Each person has one day to do their level. No limit on attempts. And if you fail to submit your save within 24 hours, the next in line can decide to take their turn, or can choose to give you a bit longer.

If we can find a solid build and mods set then this thing will take off. That is a big *If* though. :)

2. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Best description I've had of the Radiant Wizard mod so far.

Although it *is* possible to kill Dredmor on GRPD with a RW build; I've done it myself - your defense is more about pre-emption rather than reaction and knowing when to open distance and use your ranged spells from other trees instead of going close to use RW spells for the heavy damage. The skill is a build-definer, though, so I naturally took skills that would help cover RW's weaknesses and play to its strengths.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Radiant Wizards are the ultimate one-hit wonder. But they got mixed up. They die in one hit almost every time. (Or at least their skills are shot strait to the fiery pits after being hit and they cannot recover at all.)

Would Level Five Vegan or Emomancy's The Cure help out? I honestly do not know. I know that Archery/Throwing are essential. As is having loads of dodge, block, and magic resistance.

Golemancy, Emomancy, Mathemagics, Thrown Weaponry, Archery, Radiant Wizard, and Dire Gourmand should be a good build.

Golemancy gives another target for monsters. Even if the damage they do is pitiful, they are required unless you swap in Promethian.

Emomancy is great because of the Antimagic cloud and My Chemical Explosion. The rest is just helpful.

Mathemagics is probably the single most useful skill because of the teleports. The other skills in this tree are good too since they offer great single target debuffs and DoTs. (Emomancy can kinda pull it's own with Love Will Teleport Us Apart, but that gets nigh useless later.)

Radiant Wizard can chain nuke the whole dungeon, but is dangerous as heck to use.

Dire Gourmand gives enough mana to contend as a mage.

And finally, Archery and Thrown Weaponry are useful, but if using one, the need for the other is reduced. If going with thrown, the build should include Ninjitsu. The procs it offers for thrown are amazing.

I am going to roll back out of the beta and see if 1.09RevB can run these together stable. The above build crashes that combo hard on generation.

Would you like to join us lccorp? All are welcome!

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I found that 1.0.10RC5 works fine with the above mods if I remove Interior Dredmorating. I added Essential DoD II for the Ninjutsu skill and made a character with Golemancy, Emomancy, Mathemagics, Thrown Weaponry, Ninjutsu, Radiant Wizard, and Dire Gourmand.

So if we go with 1.0.10RC5 then the mods I would use are:
    Rogueish Renovations
    Clockwork Knights
    Dire Gourmand
    Essential DoD II

Skills are still up in the air. What does everyone think?

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

RC5 should be stable enough for you to do this, FYI. (And in fact, this exercise should knock some bugs out.)

There's a bunch of code in the new build to hopefully make it to save games work consistently for everybody and don't lock up; it will be interesting to try this...

Wi§p and OmniNegro like this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Alright, This is 1.0.10RC5 with the following mods. I saved as soon as the character was made.
    Rogueish Renovations
    Clockwork Knights
    Dire Gourmand
    Essential DoD II

Skills chosen are Golemancy, Emomancy, Mathemagics, Thrown Weaponry, Ninjutsu, Radiant Wizard, and Dire Gourmand.

I will play a bit. But I am quite happy to let someone else lead this dance.

Please save often. We may as well save as often as we like to ensure that if a bug pops up we can diagnose it better.

Attached Files:

7. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

If you've got time, I'd appreciate a bug report in the Interior Dredmorating thread about whatever problems you've had with it. I can't fix bugs I've never been told about.

For the record, I've clocked more than 100 hours of play since the last time I had a crash while using ID.

8. Maverick8187

Maverick8187 Member

Wow, looking at it now, this is a little intimidat-

Oh, the hell with it, what's the worst that could happen? I'll give it a shot, even if I AM new to all four of those mods. Assuming I can get the RC5 to work.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I will do that immediately. I kept thinking it was an issue with the current beta PC, but as you said, if you do not know about it you cannot fix it.

Also, here is the save file for the same character with DL1 cleared. All quests completed. The items around you are items I would have sold, but I figure i will leave the choice to the next person. Feel free to try the OP save if you want. (I may well have picked skills you would prefer were different.)

And please let us know if you have any troubles Maverick8187. We would be glad to help.

Attached Files:

10. Maverick8187

Maverick8187 Member

Nah, I figure I'll go in full fish mode: cold, blind, and sure to die in a most embarrassing way at least once. Uh, permadeath isn't on, right?

EDIT: First issue already, how does one get an imported save to work? Unpacked the files and dropped them into My Documents/Gaslamp/Dredmor with the other .sav files. What'd I do wrong?

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Nope. No permadeath. It would not really be fair. The point of this is not to cheat, but rather to make it possible to always back up if we mess up. But this is a Going Rogue skill save.

*Edit* Note that I cannot get ID to crash like I thought it was, so I must have messed up in some way. Feel free to load ID before you load the save and descend the stairs. (ID mostly effects things when the level is made, so it would have minimal effect when loading a save made with the level already made.)

Please remember to note if you use ID. If I try to load the game expecting it to not include ID, I would disable ID to retain compatibility, but the game would crash for me. Any save loaded with a mod will forevermre require that mod to load.

12. Maverick8187

Maverick8187 Member

I've left ID out for the moment, since it wasn't in the list you selected. I don't think it's a mod issue at the moment, but that I might not be placing the save in the right location.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If your other saves load up from there, then that is the right place. Is it not showing in the load list, or crashing when you load it?

14. Maverick8187

Maverick8187 Member

It wasn't showing anything on the load list. Fortunately, I've gotten it to work. Hurrah forum search function, derp.

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Please for the sake of the Kittens, tell us what you had to do?!?! (Or link in what you found?)

16. Maverick8187

Maverick8187 Member

Turns out I just needed to make a save with the same filename, then overwrite it with the one you'd put up. Dynab suggested it over here.

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Bless You! You earned a reward! (Throws snotty Lutefisk at Maverick8187.)
    :)
    *Edit* I will be playing a bit of Mass Effect 2 for an hour or a few. I never even installed it until I heard they made a third one. /sigh I hate pseudo RPGs though, so I may uninstall it and go back to a proper Roguelike RPG such as DoD very quickly. Enjoy the build! Post any questions you have. I will gladly help explain as best I can.

And while I am thinking of it, I should explain why I took so many Throwing skills. I needed a spamable ranged attack for the build. Ninjitsu gives nice ranged throwables at the first level ability for a fairly low mana cost. (And once Ninjitsu is maxed, you can get ranged procs like crazy.)

Ninjitsu has a nice skill that is the second level ability. It makes you invisible for a few turns so you can retreat from melee and get ready for the next fight or summon a Golem to fight for you or just spam throwing items. (The invis goes away once you make any action besides movement.)

The book you have in your shield hand is one that causes meat cubes to appear where enemies were when you kill them. It can be useful to have plenty of meat to heal with. And the Dire Gourmand skill makes loads of booze in the same fashion. It is basically required for casters.

If I had to choose the next skill, I would probably choose either Ninjitsu or throwing again. Read them for details of what they offer and decide as you choose. It looks like Radiant Wizardry is having to wait in line for this run. :)

18. Maverick8187

Maverick8187 Member

Okay, floor 2 is looking good and more-or-less done. 2 anvils waiting, a decent stock of liquor, and enough ammo to last for a bit longer. Maxed Throwing tree, Ninjutsu up to rank 3. Though, it seems we've made some sort of spatial anomaly; when I first went down to F2, the staircase back up didn't come out where I had gone in initially. Caution advised.

Attached Files:

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Awesome! It works fine. I ran over and checked the shop and bought the Champion belt for around 2k zorkmids. :melee_power: is what throwing damage scales to, so that was well worth it. Shame that the level only had one store with mostly junk in it. Anyone want to try? Please say something. Otherwise expect a post in an hour or two with my progress.

Just one more Ninjitsu level to the capstone. It makes throwing worth using. I see you too have been making good use of Secret Sword. Any extra mana I have gets dumped into disposable ammo. And occasionally a 1k Ninjato spawns with them. :) I sell all spares.

20. Glazed

Glazed Member

Taken literally, that would make this a horrible, horrible experience. :)

That's a bug that needs to be worked out. It's happened to a few people, including me. How convenient that we have these save files. If you can tell us what stairs you went down to reach F2, then someone else can try to reproduce it with the same save file you originally downloaded.