Improved Multicore Support and OpenGL.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by OmniaNigrum, Mar 12, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I run the game in a window with sounds and music muted. And as it is, it keeps my CPU running hot because it is almost if not entirely a single core game. This could use some improvements, but I know that adding multicore support is a pain that usually causes instability as well.

OpenGL would be nice if it worked properly since it is as the name implies: Open. Once you get everything working well in OpenGL for one OS you need not change anything about the rendering method for any other OS that supports OpenGL to work as well. (In theory at least.)

I play on a nice quad core gaming system with a beast of a GPU. Yet it seems that every last thing is handled by the CPU at all times. For a roguelike this is odd, if not ridiculous. When a 3.2Ghz system has an average of 92% CPU utilization on a single core, and less than 10% on all the rest it means loads of wasted power and heat that will reduce the lifespan of the system.

I am running 1.0.10 RC5 on my Phenom II 955 3.2GHz x4 with a Radeon 5850 GPU on Windows 7 x64.

I have the latest drivers and all the Windows updates yet it still runs as hot as a single threaded Crysis with maxed video settings. This is simply dumb. Am I missing something? Or is it this way for everyone?

*Edit* I am using the -opengl flag as well as the -debug-flag in the shortcut. I expected that the log running with debug mode would show that the renderer was switched to OpenGL when I added that flag, but it does not. It shows OpenAL either way.

Is the game primarily using SDL as the renderer?

I really loved the game known as "Rage" by id software. It was the first commercial shooter to use only OpenGL as the renderer and it forced both ATI/AMD and Nvidia to come clean and finally support OpenGL like they pretended they had all along. (I say pretended because every driver they released supported different extensions and there was no way to be sure that any one version would work or not besides trying it with that version.)

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Did I put this in the wrong area? I did not want to harass Nicholas by putting my little rant into the RC5 changelog. Should I just link it in and warn everyone that it is probably only wishful thinking?

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Really? When a turn based game with 2d tile graphics runs hotter than Crysis with maxed video settings it sure seems abundantly wrong to me. Either that or something is horrifically wrong with my configuration. I will change it if you or anyone else insists however.

I mean no disrespect against those who are less than perfect, but *Redacted*simply means less capable than the norm. I can run a hundred instances of the various *Band games without ever maxing out a single core. But a single instance of this maxes it out even with sounds and music disabled, and while doing nothing but sitting at the main menu.

*Edit* Not less capable. You are clearly right. I looked it up again and it means slower. That seems to fit with what I intended, but I changed it anyway to not offend anyone.

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

*snip*
    And it sounds like something is wrong with your configuration. Dredmor shouldn't be running that hot, and in my own experience it doesn't.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Alright. I will not argue. I changed each of my posts to not contain the offending word. Would you kindly remove it from your post?

I wonder why it is running so differently for myself. Perhaps I should examine the bug forum a bit more. I thought it was just a bit of sloppy code. (No offense intended to the developers.)

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member