Idea for a crafting mod (no cheat mod)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FaustoMartense, Jun 30, 2012.

1. First of all, if this idea is being implemented in some other mod that is not a cheat, please ignore this post.

When I use skills that give me Trap Affinity, I always end up with a lot of traps that I can sell for a very small amount or use later. Both have little to no reward. I would like to disarm the traps into its components. I saw some crafting cheats that enable this option, but I would like to have this possibility in a separate mod, without having to rely on the cheat.

Is this possible? Is anyone willing to do it?

2. zellking

zellking Member

i imagine it would be possible to add using crafting system, so it should be, the meltdown mod someone created does something familiar but with weapons and armor (i think armor anyway)

3. Exactly, it would be similar to the so popular meltdown mod. Maybe I should ask him to add the traps too hehe. I almost totally forgot about that mod.

4. Aegho

Aegho Member

I do something similar in the crafter's helper mod. (It lets you turn them into iron or alchemical ooze, two of my universal converter reagents in that mod). It would be very easy to go copy-pasta that and just change the outputs to whatever you wish.

I also have a mod that will address this in a slightly different fashion on my metaphorical drawingboard, that would be using a skill-bound single new reagent, and have a list of recepies combining it with all the core/expansion traps to form throwing weapons. (IE: Trap + Reagent X = throwable trap). These would be unrecoverable throwing weapons, that depending on how I end up implementing it either go off where thrown, or just act as a weak crushing throwing weapon, that plants the trap at the targeted location. Ideally I'll be able to do a combination of both (so if you hit something, it goes off, if you throw it just at ground, it plants the trap).

5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Problem is that there's no way to get multiple results from a single craft -- so at most you could break a trap down into ONE component, but not it's entire component set.

6. Maybe I can do something similar to what Aegho suggested. Instead of melting the trap into its components, I can create recipes to mix traps with empty bottles to obtain different throwing items...

I read the descriptions of the Crafter´s helper, it would start to use it when the new DLC arrives and it get rid of the stacked items :) It looks great.

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Actually, you could make it into an entirely new item that would (supposedly, I'm still not sure if the tags are working as intended there) not spawn anywhere and would give one set of appropriate "ingredients" upon use. Not the most elegant solution, but what works, works.

OmniNegro and Essence like this.
  8. Frelus

Frelus Member

I guess you could make a reaction that makes every trap into 1 trapkit (or something named anything else), and then make trap recipes requiring x trapkits based on the power of the trap.
    This would be my solution, although it could feel quite cheaty.
    Maybe make it like x trapkits+ingredient from the normal recipe, so that you do not need all ingredients, but only 1 or so.
    For high-end traps you could also make double/triple/quadruple trapkits for making them need more.

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. zellking

zellking Member

I agree with kazeto's idea on this one because it works perfectly, I imagine that it would also allow you to add chance for items as well? so for example when you take apart the trap you make a mistake and the acid couldnt be collected, so you would only get things like the trigger.
    it would make it more interesting and make it a bit less over the top I think.
    and that can be done right? items with only a chance to give you something

10. Frelus

Frelus Member

I do not think this can be done with crafting recipes. If it was a useable item, this might work, but not if you want it to function withing the crafting menu.
    At least, that's what I think.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, it's possible. And really, it's easy to just make it work like that, and it'll just take some time to make appropriate trigger webs.

Erm, and my idea was what exactly? Because I explicitly stated that it can be achieved by making a recipe that would give you a usable item which will then work like that.

12. zellking

zellking Member

a acid trap turns into a dismantled acid trap through crafting, then using the dismantled acid trap to give you a trigger (the item), 80% for a cog of some sort and 40% of a flask of acid (or whatever it is, I haven't played in a week or so)
    I cant really think of a better way to do it to be honest, but is that what your looking for?
    EDIT:
    While im at it, i had a thought, if the player can dismantle traps, there should be a chance for it to blow up or something on use, which can be lowered based on your trap affinity. such as a 20% base chance, then reduce that by :trap_level:x 3 and :tinkerer:x 2 or such

13. Let me see if I am following all the ideas correctly.Kazeto. FreIus. Are you two saying I should make a "trap kit" item that would give me the ingredients and a recipe to make the trap kit? It sound complicated but it may work.

Anyway, it is not neccesary for the trap to be dissambled in all its components, but the most important ones or even better something that can be used from another thing aside creating traps. For example the acid trap, should give an acid bottle. That way I can use the acid as a throwing weapon.

I loved Zellking idea. You "craft" the trap/mine into a single item that upon use have a chance to give you the components. That sounds more easy to implement that the trap kit. Maybe.

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes, this is what I'm saying.

It's the exact same thing as the "trapkit".

15. Ohh sorry, in my mind they were two very different things. Maybe I misunderstood something :)

16. zellking

zellking Member

nope, they were the same, I was just stating a example.
    except that exploding trap thing. im going to drop the guy who made the meltdown a line about that.

17. SHiLLySiT

SHiLLySiT Member

I also like zelking's idea. If someone isn't already in the process of implementing this, I might add it to my meltdown mod here in the near future.