Windows 8 64-bit Game crashing/freezing

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Drybonz, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Drybonz

Drybonz Member

I recently purchased the complete Dredmor from Steam. The game is a lot of fun, but I'm having quite a bit of trouble with random crashing and freezing. I am not running any mods. The freezing will affect the entire game... no keyboard buttons work, clicking on in-game menus does not work. I have to ctrl alt dlt out of the game and lose some game progress. These problems will happen a couple times a day. My computer will run most current games on high settings with no problems.

This game has been out for a while and it surprises me that such serious bugs remain. Is this game still being supported? Is there any hope of these things being fixed? Any information is appreciated.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hey, sorry you are having these issues.

Complete game freezes aren't something we've seen reported very often if at all, so can you give us some details on when and how this tends to happen?

3. Drybonz

Drybonz Member

Well, I'm not sure if I can give a definitive answer but the crashes I see the most, but not limited to, right as I launch into the dungeon. The total game freezes seem to happen the most when I'm playing a pyromancer class, but I'm not 100% sure about that either. Maybe a problem with one of those spells? I will post more info if I notice any trends. Thank you.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

This could have something to do with Windows 8 in some way, it's hard to say, especially the freezes. You could try running the game in openGL mode, or directX mode.

Put "-opengl" or "-directx" in your steam launch options for the game, assuming you're on Steam, or as a parameter in a shortcut after the game's path. If you need more details on how to do that let me know and I'll write it up.