Extreme Monkism Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Dinre, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Dinre

Dinre Member

This is a new class mod with a set of skills made for the player who eschews worldly inventory juggling in favor of having your character simply increase stats by hitting and being hit. This mod is in no way balanced. Instead, this mod is meant to be played in conjunction with self-enforced handicaps (like wearing nothing but a hat and shoes and using no consumables). Here's the summary of the mod:

[​IMG]
    Extreme Monkism
    (warrior class skill)
    A monk does not raise his hand against his enemies. Unless that hand is honed into a sledgehammer-like fist.
    [All boosts stack indefinitely. To avoid clutter, the "spell icons" only show the result of the last trigger of a specific spell. Don't worry, though, all the previous boosts are still there... they're just incognito.]

[​IMG]
    10-inch Steel Chest Hair
    To properly Fu the Kung, you gotta grow your own fur. Just don't let Bruce Lee pull it out.
    [When hit, the player has a chance to boost burliness and stubbornness.]

[​IMG]
    Birthday Suit of Armor
    Calluses don't build themselves, and clothes just get in the way.
    [When hit, the player has a chance to boost a random resistance.]

[​IMG]
    Holy Dance of Ow-Ow-Ow
    Sometimes it hurts so bad you just have to dance.
    [When hit, the player has a chance to boost nimbleness and caddishness.]

[​IMG]
    Masochist Fist
    Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself.
    [If a monster isn't around to hit you, you have to hit yourself. And for everyone who wonders: yes, this has a chance to trigger the first three skills.]

[​IMG]
    Sledge Hands
    The more times you break your hand, the bigger your fists. Better get started.
    [When hitting a monster, the player has a chance to boost a random damage type.]

[​IMG]
    Self-Pontification
    When you're alone on a mountain, you have to listen to your own lectures. Sometimes you learn something.
    [Every so often, the player can roll for a chance to boost a random secondary skill.]

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and I'll try to make changes if anyone finds a problem or just *needs* something to be adjusted. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

If there was a way to enforce the no-gear rules, this sounds like it would be fun as hell. :)

3. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I havent had a chance to look over the features, but the icons are very nicely done.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

This is quite original.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I was thinking just last week that it would be nice if there was a skill that gave bonuses when you did not wear armor/weapons. It seems like you read my mind and made a mod! Nice. It will doubtlessly be abusable, but that is not a problem.

As the old Slash'Em (And Nethack) saying goes, "Commercial games cheat for you. Roguelikes cheat against you."

This is just a way to balance that cheating a bit.

6. vash

vash Member

I liked the mod a lot. I agree with what was said above about the effects being for no-gear rule. I do not know if that is feasible.

I am still not clear what effect Masochist Fist is suppose to have, seemed like a waste of a skill. Besides that seemed overall balanced.

7. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

You could make the procs and abilities inflict corruption on the player. Well, if they invest past Steely Fur.

8. Dinre

Dinre Member

As for the no-gear rule, it's currently self-enforced only. I can't find an elegant way of implementing it. Personally, I think players still need to have the ability to wear something (like rings, necklaces, hats, etc) or the fun is taken out of looting or enchanting. In a current run with this mod, I'm using archaeology and enchanting the daylights out of my fedora. Of course, I would never part with my beloved hat, so I'm keeping it despite all the random pleased/displeased Krongs I get. It's MY fedora. It's also the sum-total of my clothing. I need something to cover the, uh... bits.

As for Masochist Fist, I can understand the confusion. It's actually a potentially powerful skill if you often have extra health to spend. Basically, you take damage from punching yourself, but the first three skills have a chance to proc. This means you *could* go hide in a corner and beat yourself up if you really want one of the bonuses. Of course, you'll need some way to heal...

9. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

With enough armor absorption, Masochist Fist doesn't do anything. There are ways to get armor other than clothing. A way around this would be to make its self damage scale with armor absorption.

10. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I think that the new feature conversion="1" can make this mod usable in any game: just making sure one have to not equip clothes, one can make a itemdb with an useless conversion for every equipment.
    Or yeah, autoinflicted corruption on hit/behing it/cast can do the same more or less.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Essence

Did they actually get conversion="1" workin?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

For the items, yes. The totalconversion is far from usable, though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Essence

Link to documentation plz?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.