Dungeons of Dredmor into Spanish

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Olafo, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Olafo

Olafo Member

Hi everybody, I'm Olafo and I come to represent a Spanish translator community. We've translated Dungeons of Dredmor into our language, at least 90%, because there are some texts that we can not find. Most are in the folder 'game', and pictures are in the folder 'ui', but there are texts that we don't find.
    Some examples:
    Image 1
    Image 2

Can anyone help us? Show us where those files are? How to get in contact with developers? Or tell us if there will be an update which allow us to translate the game in the future?

Thanks, and greetings from Clan DLan :)

2. Derakon

Derakon Member

I just did a search of the entire contents of the Mac DoD application bundle, and it looks like the string "You get combat" only exists in the compiled executable. So that text is (at the moment, anyway) hardcoded into the program. It's possible this will change when the expansion comes out and DoD modding becomes more flexible, but I can't claim to speak for the devs.

3. Olafo

Olafo Member

Thanks for answering. Yes, I found "You get combat" in the executable too, but edit it with hex-editors, it's complicated. Then, I suppose that I have to wait for the expansion or another update ;)

4. aggelon

aggelon Member

5. Olafo

Olafo Member

Thank you for the answer, aggelon :)
    We're, actually, just 2 translators, but we don't need more yet. We translate in our free time, so we don't know how many time we've spent translating. Some jokes are hard to adapt, others even don't understand them, but we do what we can.
    For example: "Magical Sombrero - It's... a magical sombrero. Vaya con dios!", I see the joke, and I see it's funny, but it's not easy to adapt :p. The translation, I suppose, will be: "Magic Hat - Es .. Un chapeau magique. Oh là là!"

We'll wait for patch 1.1.0 them. Thanks again :D

EDIT: Another example is: "Elves just want to have fun", I though about this sentence and I understood that it's a gag of "Girls just wanna have fun", Cindy Lauper's song. Unfortunately, there are no translation possible, so I've adapted it like I could.

6. aggelon

aggelon Member

Wow ! You were only 2 players for the full translation !!! Congratulations !

Sometime, I would like to translate it in french language, because I love this game and my misinterpretation of english waste me the pleasure of the game, of the humor... but I think I'll finally not translate it because :
    - I'm really new to this game, and I think translators have to know very well the game to avoid non-sense, etc...
    - Since I'm very new, I'd prefer to discover the game by playing and not by translating, I assume to translate it will spoil it to me
    - I don't speak very well english (as you can read ^^), and I don't know Cindy Lauper's titles, so I'm going to miss many things
    - Since Gaslamp guys are canadian and can easily find someone bilingual, I assume their professional translation will be much better than mine :)

Congratulations again for your job, it's a nice achievements ! ;)

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I too thought about getting a French translation going (I'm French Canadian) but unfortunately I don't have much imagination in terms of jokes, and they almost all have to be rewritten since everything in DoD is a reference, almost.

8. Olafo

Olafo Member

Yes, that's one of the bigger troubles.