Dire Gourmand (0.99Rev)

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Rarefied Horse Meat, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Current Version: Almost Complete 0.99
    Recommended with: Interior Dredmorating, which adds more food & booze to the game
    Without Dredmorating, my mod will not be able to start you off with a free melee weapon.
    [​IMG]
    The Dire Gourmand
    A cranky, obstinate Epicurean.
    You like to cook, you like to drink, and you've been sent here to kill.
    You've begrudgingly combined all of these talents into one.
    Also, inexplicably, you convert your enemies into beverages.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Skills:

Beer-and-Blood-Battered Body (proc) (defensive) (AoE)
    Butchering monsters is messy business, caking your clothes in beer and blood. Flash-frying the whole mess provides you with a hardened, tasty coating. Your rushed, sloppy cooking sometimes causes grease fires.
    Occasionally buffs your armor, also splashes fire around to help you deal with groups.
    Future plans for this skill: Add an active ability to gently squeeze animals, dealing no damage but causing them to lay an egg

Distill Enemy (proc) (offensive)
    You have mastered the ancient art of instantly fermenting whatever you touch, which mystically converts chunks of your enemies into semi-palatable booze.
    Damages your enemies by fermenting them, generates booze.

We'll Even Throw in a Set of Steak Knives! (proc) (offense/defense)
    Your family wants to wish you a happy birthday! Rather than risk visiting you in the dungeon, they’ve sent you a set of gourmet-quality steak knives. You occasionally plunge the stupid gifts into your enemies when you’re feeling spiteful.
    Buffs your caddishness and stubbornness, reduces enemy crit.

For Medicinal Use Only (buff) (defensive)
    You’ve baked some dungeon flora into a delicious dessert that helps you forget about all the things that make you mad. Nibbling on it constantly damages your mental energy reserves, but you feel enlightened and spiffy all the time!
    Expands your mind, magic resist, existential/righteous resist

Fat, but Not Jolly (passive/proc) (defensive)
    Your alcoholism has rendered you bitter, durable, and large. Monsters will have a very difficult time killing ALL of you. Things sometimes bounce right off your belly!
    Stats, magic reflect, and knocks back monsters that hit you.

BAM! (proc) (offensive)
    You soak your weapons in a caustic solution of pure capsaicin and vinegar - basically tabasco sauce, but at an intensity that would kill a man. In fact, that’s exactly what you usually do with the stuff!
    Stackable damage buff that gives your attacks a kick when you block or counter.

Suggested Builds:
    • Actually, I'm Playing Diablo! - Clockwork Knight + Dire Gourmand + Big Game Hunter + Clutch of Midas + Weapon of choice.
      Just like in other hack-and-slash games, your enemies will be loot pinatas dropping meat, booze, money, and spare parts in addition to being sources of experience points. You're also pretty dang durable even without taking Armor or Shield skills.
    • Beverage Connoisseur - Dire Gourmand + Killer Vegan + Alchemy + Mushroom Farmer.
      Tons of exciting things to drink, lots of plants and fungus to munch on, never run out of mana. Works well with spells that are normally prohibitively expensive.
    • Rampaging Herbivore - Werediggle + Killer Vegan + Dire Gourmand + Berserker Rage + Dual Wield + Weapon of choice.
      Tons of procs and passives that work just fine in Werediggle form. Add another proc-heavy skill if you wish to be ridiculous. Alternatively, add either a utility skill (I highly recommend Golemancy), defensive skill, or a Trap Sight Radius skill if you'd prefer to live a long life.
    • The Drunken Viking - Dire G + armor + Berserker + Viking Magic + Dual-Wield Maces (call the active area-effect attack Fus-Ro-Dah).
    • Everybody Afire - Dire G + Pyromancy + Dragon Knight + Burning Tomes. This is the build where you cackle madly as everything burns down.

Attached Files:

OmniNegro, Euthymios and Essence like this.
  2. REVISION HISTORY
    0.1 Changelog:
    • Concept and code put together
    • absolutely none of the code works
    0.2 Changelog:
    • ChristmasAsen saves my hide by figuring out why nothing works
    • Placeholder icons designed to look like fast food value menu items
    • Skill levels 1-4 sent out for playtesting
    0.3 Changelog:
    • steak knives now reduce the target's crit chance
    • added some cooking utensils to the starting character loadout. (1 of them requires Interior Dredmorating)
    • skill level 5 added
    • The tier 1 skill now procs half as often but is twice as strong. This is a cosmetic change in order to make the buff look more significant on mouseover. Fewer invisible stacks, bigger visible tooltip buff.
    • New ability icons!
    0.4 Changelog:
    • Meal killer, a defensive proc, replaced
    • New skill is supposed to provide a defensive buff and burn creatures that surround you (but not burn the creature you're currently hitting), burn damage isn't working
    0.5 Changelog:
    • All skill icons complete
    • Various extremely minor bugfixes
    0.7 Changelog:
    • Massive revamp to make this warrior/mage skillset friendlier for mages
    • All skills that deal damage now scale with your magic power, even if by a small amount
    • Instead of spawning booze on melee hits, booze now spawns whenever you kill a creature by any means
    0.8 Changelog:
    • Drastically simplified the code for booze spawning; it is no longer taxa-specific. This made many bugs stop occurring, and made booze spawn more reliably
    • Added 6 new "cookbooks" to the game. They are taxa-specific tomes which "cook" your opponents into something useful - you must be wielding the tome when you perform the killing attack/spell!
    • This appears to be the first version of the skillset which contains NO BUGS. Please inform me immediately if I'm wrong about this!
    0.9 Changelog:
    • Several syntax-related bugs fixed (thanks, Glazed!)
    • Capstone ability FINALLY added to the game
    FUTURE CHANGES
    Capstone Ability:
    • Kick it Up a Notch, aka "BAM!", will require the game to be patched (with proc on block coding support) in order to work correctly. So, as soon as I'm able, I'm going to make it HYPER-awesome and make it the t6 skill!
    • Fat but not Jolly is not going to be a capstone: It is merely a strong t5 skill. It gives good passive stats as mentioned previously, as well as causes stuff to bounce off of your rotund belly. (specifically: enemies in melee, and spells)
    Fun Stuff:
    • Add some "fluffy" abilities to the skill tree. By fluffy, I mean fun skills that you might use during easy levels, but when your skill bar gets full at higher levels, you'll forget about it. Example: in addition to its crunchy, useful, combat effects, the tier 1 skill might also give you the ability to gently "squeeze" a Diggle, dealing no damage but causing it to lay an egg.
    • Add some Cook Books and new boozes to the game. Cook Books would of course be tomes, adding "fry" "microwave" "marinate" "shishkebab" etc styled effects to your attacks or spells. Or, as is popular and fun, cause your enemies to drop tasty items on hit / on death.

3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I like BAM! v1.

4. jadkni

jadkni Member

Likewise, but it'd need to grant some ample block/counter chance along with the skill itself. A capstone ability shouldn't be useless in any build, in my opinion.

All the same, I love procs, so I prefer v1 to v2.

5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I like Fat But Not Jolly. Just because of the style. That said, a capstone ability that grants all stats and no skills is a bit hard to sell as a capstone.

6. Enemies have a % chance to bounce off of your blubber when they attack you?

Fax, jadkni - ChanceOnBlock/Counter etc doesn't exist yet, but when such things do exist, I'll definitely get it into the class. If there's already a t5 by that point, I'll just make it the t6.

7. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

"...the ability to "squeeze" a Diggle, dealing no damage but causing it to lay an egg."

What is to stop the Diggle in question from pressing charges?

8. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

It doesn't press charges, it just commits assault and battery.

9. Have you guys tried it out?
    How do you feel about the skills? The new icons?
    Is the mod too similar to Berserker Rage? (If so, I'll note that when code is available to do so, the t1 skill will be replaced with a Proc On Booze effect that makes you churlish when you drink)
    Is it just me, or is the "Boozify" sound effect that I added not playing when you Ferment people?

10. ChristmasAsen

ChristmasAsen Member

I can tell you right now that custom sound effects don't work, I have tried enabling them a number of different ways to no avail

11. Updated to version 0.5! I hope you guys like it!
    Feedback I'm especially interested in:
    1. Is all the free booze a meaningful source of mana, or was I too stingy?
    2. Should I bother making cookbooks?
    3. Any opinions you might have regarding the t6 ability
    4. Any ideas as to why my grease fires aren't sticking to the ground
    5. Animations, sprites, or sounds that might better suit the abilities than what I've got so far
    6. Title of the mod. Is dire gourmand good? Devouring One? The Snack Artist?
    And now, off to play my drunken monk. (Again. (He died during playtesting.))

EDIT: I don't actually know whether I changed anything, but fire patches seem to be working fine now. To my knowledge, I didn't do anything to make that happen, but I'm reuploading the mod JUST IN CASE

12. Shotgunkiwi

Shotgunkiwi Member

Is it strange that this entire mod reminds me of epic meal time?

Anyway, how about this for a capstone ability? (Its quite punny if I do say so myself!)

Epic Squeal Time (Or Pastafarian)
    Destroy your foes in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Your foes will fear his noodled appendage as he strikes them down in a sea of molten sauce!
    (Two ideas for the practical use of the spell, one is, its used as a summons spell, making a custom monster "Flying Spaghetti Monster", I`m not sure if its possible but could you pull the transform into food effect onto other creatures? If so have it somewhere about 80% to make it a worth while summons. OR! A self centered AOE that deals high damage and instantly transforms all foes killed by it to turn into food)

'Sawse Bawse' V1
    After all your time working hard as a chief, making booze and food... Eureka! Due to being so smart its stupid, you have learned to mix meat and booze into one! All foes you now beat into submission have a chance to turn into such amazing feats of cooking!

30% chance to transform enemies into Bourbon Steak (Gives Massive Health AND MP)

'Sawse Bawse' V2
    After all your time working hard as a chief, making booze and food... Eureka! Due to being so smart its stupid, you have learned to mix meat and booze into one! Flavor up your old dishes with such astonishing skill!

Turns food items targeted with the skill into Bourbon Steak ( Gives Massive Health AND MP)

Or perhaps add an Alchemy recipe? Steak + Bourbon (Make it the drink dropped on the death of foes to make things easier)

I don`t know, but I do think having a HP & MP food item would be great!

13. ____General Status Update:____
    • I'm not sure if folks noticed, but I made my original post up top a great deal better organized and more informative. Check it out if the information was too scattered and confusing to you before! If I could improve it further, let me know.
    • Changes are in the works to make the skillset a lot more mage-friendly! ALL damaging abilities from this skillset now scale with Magic Power, and booze is spawned whenever you kill a monster by any means, not just on melee attacks. However, the code is being wonky, so it's not done yet. I am drawing ever closer to having a respectable Version 1.0 to put out there and feel satisfied with!
    _______@Shotgunkiwi_______
    Epic squeal time - there are plenty of other summons available in official/mod skillsets already, and they tend to be on squishy skillsets. Feel free to use my skillset to pay for one of those skillsets' mana costs.;)

Sawse Bawse - this or something like it would be a great "fluffy" ability to tag onto an existing skill! In DoD's current state, inventory slots are hard to come by, so if I give pro chefs the ability to make "boozefood" in some manner, it'll help with that. Expect to see it added within a revision or two! I'm likely to use Kick it Up a Notch, when game code allows, as the actual t6 due to somewhat favorable feedback, but I will definitely squeeze some Sawse in somewhere as well!

14. Shotgunkiwi

Shotgunkiwi Member

Absolutely, I always find that is one problem I have using mods like yours (item spawning mods in general) is that, the game itself has very little space and that can just make the problem far worse at times.

Any chances on any chance enhancements on the side? For say more rare booze/food? As I find it can start to wane in effectiveness later on and eventually becomes clutter to a slight degree. I know not if there is actually anyway you can improve the booze spawned with ranks in skills, but I`m sure it would be easy enough to add perhaps, 30% passive chance to spawn a high level booze/food with the last rank?

15. I don't think I remembered to write it anywhere, but yes, some new items (and recipes, if I can figure out how to mod those) are planned for this mod. Some cookbooks, some space-saving boozefoods, some new boozes, foods, and at least one new mushroom (created by killing veggies with your cookbook). Items come after I've got the skill all hammered out to my liking, though.

And I like your idea of spawning better stuff with deeper investment in the skill - Big Game Hunter sorta kinda does that, so I'll do something similar.

16. Shotgunkiwi

Shotgunkiwi Member

Also I think Clockwork mod does that too, they have the junk tinkerer items spawn, then later on the high quality items.

That could also fix what Essence was talking about too, about the capstone ability lacking.

17. I'll take a look at that one too, then.

For now, I'm posting up a almost-working version of Dire Gourmand's currrent incarnation. 0.52 works fine for warriors, vikings, and warmages. 0.7 works better for mages and melee casters, as well as scales a bit better into the endgame with magic power, but should be considered potentially dangerous, probably-won't-crash-your-game Beta content. Unfortunately booze is not spawning as frequently as intended, but I'm going to have to save fixing that for later.

18. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    SIX NEW COOKBOOKS!
    With amazing art by Loren!

Another new version! What's great: in this version, everything is working properly! What's not great: I had to simplify the crap out of the booze generation spells, and I'm still not 100% certain why that made it work. Whatever - I'll take it, for now.

Here's what's changed in Version 0.8:
    Booze spawns on most kills. You're gonna be swimming in cheap booze, so drink up and use some magic!
    And of course, some new taxa-specific tomes!
    • If Wan can Chop, So Can You! - This book instructs you how to chop up veggies properly. You must be bad at following directions, because you keep turning them into fruit instead.
    • Delicious Diggles & Other Tasty Beasts! - 'It's 1, 2, 3, easy! Trap, tenderize, THEN taste!'
    • Goop Into Gold - and 59 Other Physical Impossibilities! - What is an Ooze, anyways? Turns out it's a homogenous mixture of acids, minerals, and a whole lot of Elmer's Glue. By dampening the 'animating force' you can sometimes distill out those constituent materials.
    • Useful Undead! - A dead undead has not one, but TWO deaths inside of it. This book will teach you how to make useful items out of all that death - order now to receive a FREE bonus recipe for bathtub rotgut!
    • A Guide to Eating Demon Hearts - For people who don't mind staining their soul black as night, demon hearts are surprisingly nutritious and appetizing!
    • Practical Robot Recipes for Golem Gourmets - This book is full of schematics, blueprints, and wiring diagrams. Is it a cookbook, or a construction manual?
    Here's what I want to get in before I call it Version 1.0:
    A couple orbs.
    A 6th skill - "Kick it Up a Notch!" which will need the new 1.10 modding code.
    Ideally, booze spawning the way I want... if at all possible.
    Add a small chance for Construct Cookbook to yield an item you can use to summon a little robot buddy.

OmniNegro, Essence and Wi§p like this.
  19. Loren

Loren Member

I started rolling with the gourmand after I helped you out with the item sprites. I've found Gourmand to be quite enjoyable when paired in a gish-type build. It's nice being able to fuel a some spells and buffs while still having a tree useful to melee.

20. This thread is growing massive and cluttered, to my eyes. Version 1.0 will need to get its own thread, I think.

If you are just now tuning in to the show, I recommend reading the original post to get an idea for what the skillset is, and the changelog if you want to understand where the skillset has been and where it's going. Beyond that, most of the posts in here are merely going to give you a headache - don't bother!

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Let me know how you feel about the tomes; I intended for them to not be super-awesome rounded combat tomes, but instead to be decently strong for use against each specific taxa, and to be something you might carry around and equip just for the sake of a killing blow. Do they fill that function well, or do you toss them to make room for other things?