Design Your Own Container Garden: The Gardener Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Super Armatron, Feb 1, 2012.

1. This mod is still a bit of a work in progress, but here we have my take on a druid class. I really don't know the first thing about balancing, so any suggestions as far as that goes I'm more than happy to hear, so without further ado:
    Gardener (or possibly Animist if that sounds better who knows)​
    I was hoping to get a wizard class that had several of its abilities balanced against needing to be cast on corpses, particularly your most powerful offensive one (stand back!) as well as one that offers plenty of health regen. It synergies really well with alchemy thanks to the first ability and a lot of the abilities I'd hoped to start out weak and have scale quickly with magic power, so it really rewards a pure mage build. I'm also not super happy with the icons, but my MSPaint skills are weak at best.​
    Lvl 0: Compost: simple stuff. You destroy a corpse, you get a fruit. I'd wanted to kind of sneak in the utility of getting rid of bodies that other enemies can resurrect.​
    Lvl 1: Wilting Touch: does solid putrefying damage, scales up fast with magic power but is kind of expensive. Intended to be a panic button more than anything.​
    Lvl 2: Wreath of Blossoms: your basic defensive aura. I tried to balance this against mark of the black eyeliner, scaling up the resistances in exchange for having less of them and no offensive boost.​
    Lvl 3: Cultivate Green Slime: This is the skill I'm most worried about being overpowered. You throw a burst of acid in front of you that sticks to the ground. I set the damage fairly low, but the weak acid burn effect tears stuff up.​
    Lvl 4: Grasscutter: Throw down a mine, enemies walk into and get held up. I want the damage to be fairly low on this, hopefully I didn't get carried away.​
    Lvl 5: Cultivate Pisum Infernum: Target a corpse, kill everything in the room. Hopefully I didn't get carried away with this one too. I set the damage low in exchange for a wide area and the deciduous wand effect.​
    Lvl 6: Blessing of the World Tree: A hungry buff that boosts all your stats, boosts your health regen, and gives you a 50/50 shot of the deciduous wand effect on hit. My attempt to make the tree attractive to non-mages as well. Hopefully this is good as a capstone, otherwise I might just scale it back to five skills.​
    Special thanks to Null, who's wind mage mod I pretty much dismantled line by line to get this thing right, and to Essence who helped me clear up some issues I was having in the early stages of this mod.​
    Play, enjoy, let me know what you think.​
    Edit: the problems with running from the .zip file are hopefully worked out, thank you Essence

Attached Files:

Zennock and Wi§p like this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Crash on startup. Can't find art. :)

3. Essence

99% sure this is a capitalization issue. Check the capitalization of your icon names vs. your paths.

4. Looks like you were right, man you are just way on top of my amateur mistakes with this thing, thank you.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Free bump to you because I didn't want to see this slip down the cracks. I haven't added it to the mod index yet because there isn't feedback yet but I'll try to make some time to test it sometimes soon :)

6. Where do containers come in, for this mod?

7. Essence

Psium Infernum. It's a living container that holds your enemies in place. :)

8. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

I'm am eager to try this out. Hoping it isn't a bit OP, since I haven't yet actually completed a game yet. >.> Then again, I've been distracted by other games as well.

9. Essence

Honestly, I doubt it will be. Things like Weak Acid Burn tearing stuff up...doesn't really apply past DL 5 or so. :)

10. I guess I could justify it by saying that you grow stuff out of bodies, which is almost like a container, but mostly there aren't that many songs with the word "garden" in the title. In retrospect I should've referenced that one Iron Butterfly song about the garden of eden, but hindsight is 20/20.

11. Essence

Hrm. Finally got around to playtesting this. Crashed the game on my first casting of Wilting Touch ('blight'). No idea why, the XML looks simple enough. I'd suggest adding "affectsCorposes="0"" to it and any other spell that you don't want..well, affecting corpses. My target was standing atop another corpse at the time.

12. I've reuploaded it with a quick fix to hopefully get rid of that crash issue. That's what I get for changing it from targetadjacent to a template. I tested it on monsters that were standing on corpses without issue, so hopefully that'll take care of it. I'm honestly not even sure if I'm going to keep the skill, I had intended the whole class to be a support tree so giving it lots of attack options might not really be in keeping with that. That said, it might be neat to keep the whole touch range spell thing except lower the damage and make enemies drop booze, like the spell ferments them or something weird like that. Maybe even whip up some custom liquors to be dropped by different taxa. Could be funny anyway.

13. Well, if that's something you really, truly want to do, you can probably just rip the code wholesale from the 0.52 version of the boozing mod in my signature. :p I'll be a little bit shocked, but not offended... maybe even slightly honored. It was certainly quite surreal to hear you describe it so precisely while appearing to not realize that's exactly what I did!

Wi§p and Essence like this.
  14. Haha, wow, it's even at level 2 and everything. Weird. Well I wouldn't want to step on your mod's toes or anything, it just seemed like an obvious direction to go with a putrefying damage spell (ps your mod is really interesting, I particularly like the cookbooks). I guess I'll probably wind up going with my other idea of an obtuse Plants vs. Zombies reference of some kind then...

Wi§p likes this.
  15. Mine's no longer taxa-specific, as that was only working on melee hits. If you can get taxa-specific booze spawning as described by you and attempted by me to work for everyone, "steal" away...

The game definitely deserves some alternate spell damage lines, though. I look forward to seeing what you produce!

16. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

giving this a try in the next few days. always nice to see new mods with nifty ideas :)

17. Kyrris

Kyrris Member

Renaming suggestion, because you seemed to want it:

Savage Gardening

0. You Can Still Be Fruit - Something is trapped inside a wound unhealing, but time can free it to spread its wings and aim for the sun-or-underground-sun-substitute. Then you'll probably eat it or something.
    1. Chic-a-cherry Brawndo - Sweet, like the smell of perfume, with electrolytes collected by deep sea divers. It turns out that plants don't need it, after all. Really, it doesn't seem much healthier for anything else, either. [Okay. It's weak. This isn't easy.]
    2. Last Christmas Wreath - Protect your shy heart from icy souls, burning lovers, and tearful, tiring eyes, but not from the sticky regret of overindulging in diggle nog. [If this doesn't grant +cold res +fire res +++exist res, I really don't know what else I can get from those lyrics.]
    3. Splash and Burn - When the monsters in your head need to fall apart, this loyal friend should be the one you call. (More effective on one-way streets where walls have closed in. Non-refundable after opening.)
    4. Chained to Yourself - This fascinating, but mysterious spell will bring your enemies to their knees, as the magic builds around them until they can't take anymore.
    5. Violaceae Supernovum - Exploding like a disco, inside a convenient head.
    6. Gunning Down Dredmor - You've cultivated a parasitic fern that sucks the love-drug right out of your veins. Just snort a few spores, and the aggression and other primal urges will have you spreading heartache and misery in no time. Occasionally, the cleverly concealed monster will even emerge from your skin to grapple with the dungeon's other occupants.

pokyhoky12, Zook, Wi§p and 1 other person like this.
  18. Essence

Best use of an Austrailian pop duo in skill flavor text in any game. Ever. EVAR.