Cat Planeteer

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by nivomi, Apr 13, 2013.

1. nivomi

nivomi Member

To celebrate the upcoming tenth anniversary of it's Ludum Dare win, I decided I would go back and finish up my Cat Planet themed skillset! So here it is!

Cat Planeteer: A Skillset

Cat Planeteer is an unconventional skillset, statistically based around Roguery. Featuring a spellDB with over 1700 lines (More than vanilla Dredmor!), and the most underwhelming and limited custom spritework available, I hope I've captured the spirit of Cat Planet, while having some semblance of game balance and playability. I'm not entirely confident that I've done the balance and playability bits quite right, and as such I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what you think!

Patented Cat-Based Casting System
    Reinventing the wheel to be cat-shaped!
    Rather than using Mana as fuel, Cat Planeteer's skills make use of cats! You can turn the corpses of your enemies into cat-based spell fuel, keeping dungeons clean and the cats plentiful. As well, the amount of cats you carry alongside you fuels your adventuring spirit, giving you gusto, motivation, and stats! Casting cat spells reduces your current amount of cats and thus your current amount of stats!

Skills
    Level 0 - Cat Conversion
    [​IMG]
    Why have corpses lying around when you could have cats? This skill takes a corpse and eradicates it from existence, replacing it with a cat!

Level 1 - Hey there, Buddy!
    [​IMG]
    Everybody loves cats! Why not give the advancing hordes a cat to help ease tensions?

Level 2 - Little Angel Girl
    [​IMG]
    Move like an angel to traverse chasms, gaps, fissures, and even rivers! This skill lets you tag out for an old drinking buddy back on Cat Planet, someone with a bit more flight-based mobility!

Level 3 - Big Blue Button
    [​IMG]
    A button that big has gotta do something good! Distance yourself from attackers by putting a blue box between you and them!

Level 4 - Jungle Thorns
    [​IMG]
    Despite its reputation for cat-based family fun, Cat Planet can be a pretty dangerous place! For whatever reason, you've brought some of that danger with you, and you're ready to spread it all around!

Level 5 - Planet of the Cats
    [​IMG]
    Cats, having lived on a planet of their own on occasion, tend to know a lot about planets! In fact, enough of them might be able to give you some convenient recon on the chunk of planet you currently reside!

A very special thank you goes out to Duvi0 for about half of the skill ideas!

If you don't understand any of this, I recommend you try out the game, available here, or possibly view the semi-not-quite famous Let's Play by French-Canadian internet prodigy raocow, available in two parts here and here!

Thank you for your time, and enjoy!

Edit: Small change, left a debug thing in there! Removed now.
    Edit 2: Also, forgot to reset a terrain thing for Little Angel Girl after testing something! Fixed.
    Edit 3: Cat cost for Little Angel Girl was misrepresented, whoops! Fixed.

July 10, 2013:
    Changed Cat Conversion to use 0 MP instead of 0 Delay, due to an issue with how Delay was being handled potentially causing stuck skills and corrupt saves.

Also, I've finally posted the mod to the Workshop! You can subscribe to it here.

Alternate Dropbox download link

Attached Files:

Daynab likes this.
  2. Duvi0

Duvi0 Member

No problem! I hope others like it, too.

3. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Just a little question: do cats have some effects aside from being the fuel of spells?
    Because if not, the first level is very useless until you level the skill up. In this case, the cats could be ranged throwing weapons, since their claws and such, with a low level of damage since you would prefer to use them with skills.

4. nivomi

nivomi Member

They do!

Cats grant secondary stat buffs based on how many you've got; a new buff is added every 5th cat, for the most part. Stat changes are as follows:
    1-4 cats: 1 Sneakiness
    5-9 cats: 1 Sneakiness, 2 Dodge
    10-14 cats: 1 Sneakiness, 2 Dodge, 1 Sight Radius
    15-19 cats: 1 Sneakiness, 2 Dodge, 1 Sight Radius, 2 Counter
    20-24 cats: 1 Sneakiness, 2 Dodge, 1 Sight Radius, 2 Counter, 1 Critical
    25-29 cats: 3 Sneakiness, 2 Dodge, 1 Sight Radius, 2 Counter, 1 Critical
    30-34 cats: 4 Sneakiness, 5 Dodge, 1 Sight Radius, 2 Counter, 1 Critical, 1 Trap Sight
    35-39 cats: 5 Sneakiness, 6 Dodge, 3 Sight Radius, 2 Counter, 1 Critical, 1 Trap Sight
    40-44 cats: 6 Sneakiness, 7 Dodge, 3 Sight Radius, 5 Counter, 1 Critical, 1 Trap Sight
    45-49 cats: 7 Sneakiness, 8 Dodge, 3 Sight Radius, 6 Counter, 4 Critical, 1 Trap Sight
    50-54 cats: 8 Sneakiness, 10 Dodge, 4 Sight Radius, 8 Counter, 6 Critical, 2 Trap Sight
    55-59 cats: 8 Sneakiness, 13 Dodge, 5 Sight Radius, 11 Counter, 9 Critical, 3 Trap Sight
    60-64 cats: 10 Sneakiness, 14 Dodge, 5 Sight Radius, 15 Counter, 15 Critical, 3 Trap Sight
    65-66 cats: 12 Sneakiness, 15 Dodge, 5 Sight Radius, 16 Counter, 16 Critical, 3 Trap Sight
    Maximum cats: 12 Sneakiness, 15 Dodge, 5 Sight Radius, 16 Counter, 16 Critical, 3 Trap Sight, Increased HP Regen Rate

Vitellozzo likes this.
  5. Kerod

Kerod Member

Whenever i run this mod and use the first spell, it says i have to wait 2 turns to use the spell again, but it wont ever cool down (it stays at 2 turns) and then, when i try to load the save it says "corrupted save file" and deletes it. Do you know why that might be happening? Thanks in advance.

6. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I've had this problem with several mods. It can usually be solved by going into the skill belt, changing the skill for that slot and then changing it back (or even just reselecting the same skill as that slot's skill).

7. nivomi

nivomi Member

I'll try to figure out a fix for that by Thursday, it seems like it's probably an issue with short-term delay timers or something. I'm sure there's a way I can work around it, but I'm a little pressed for time at the moment so you might want to deactivate the mod, or use Bohandas's suggestion for the time being.

8. Konork

Konork Member

That cooldown glitch is with the game itself

9. nivomi

nivomi Member

A sort of fix for that issue is now uploaded and ready to install, and I've also gotten around to publishing the mod on the Workshop.

10. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Your dbs are in such a mess it's just impossible to figure things inside.
    Mind the format, please.

11. nivomi

nivomi Member

My DBs are definitely a mess, yes. This is mainly because of a lack of experience and a lot of experimentation in the development process. I used a lot of bad-practice stuff to make things easier to fiddle with on my part, which generally led to less readability.

However, the mod is built around tricks and bad ideas, so I'm not sure if I could improve readability very much. If there's a style guide that I've missed, I'd be happy to see what I can do to fall in line with it. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them, but there's a reason there's a disclaimer at the top of the spellDB.

(Also, if you're not seeing line breaks it's because the file uses Linux-style linebreaks and might not open properly in some Windows text editors. I use Sublime Text, it's pretty good all-around and handles Linux linebreaks properly.)

Kazeto likes this.
  12. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

This was the problem here.

13. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Speaking of Raocow, I watched that LP. The Webcomic he makes with AoD is one of my Favourites: ATXS.