Black Stat Extenders - Minor UI Graphics Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Glazed, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Glazed

Glazed Member

You know how when you get so many damage types or resistances that little bits of paper get taped onto your character sheet? It's neat, but the light colored background makes it impossible for me to read certain numbers. Specifically Slashing and Aethereal, but also others like Acidic.

The font colors were obviously chosen for the original black background, and there it not enough contrast for me to see the some of the numbers from how far away I sit from my TV.

So, I fired up Photoshop and changed it to use black paper instead. I think the taped-on look is clever, so I preserved that. I did consider making it look like an extended version of the classic window, but, no, I kept the paper look. I added that, too!

Here's a before and after snapshot:

BeforeAndAfter.png

In the before shot, on my HDTV from 7" away from me, I literally can't read the Slashing or Aethereal numbers. And the Acidic, Hyperborean, and Crushing are a real challenge. With the black background I can read them all fine, although Toxic is a bit of a challenge, but at least I can read it.

Installation instructions:
    1. Unzip the attached file somewhere handy.
    2. Copy the two PNG files into this folder: steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\ui\gameplay
      1. This will prompt you to overwrite the current files. This is expected and OK.
    I included backups of the current files in case you want to revert this change. They're in the "Original" folder in the zip file.

Attached Files:

tojosan, Turbo164, Loerwyn and 10 others like this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Very cool, something I can definitely get behind.

3. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I have a hard time reading some stats when I am around 2 feet away from my monitor. Good Job. :p

4. Glazed

Glazed Member

Heck, I made an extended classic version, too, without the taped-on look. I really like the extended classic version, and it's what I'm using now.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Bless you! I prefer higher than normal Gamma, but the stupid font colors make it impossible to read without a modification like this. I vote that this be added to the base game next patch! And now if only there was a way of keeping the numbers from overlapping one-another too.

6. Glazed

Glazed Member

I agree. There should be a second extension that occurs when you have so many damage types that they start to overlap. This should be done when it's possible for any of the numbers to overlap as double digits using whatever characters are the widest. For instance, "11" is much narrower than "22". The damage panel should expand a second time once you have so many damage types that they would cause overlap if they were all "22", which is the case in my screenshot. In addition, special consideration should be given to the :melee_power: number at the end because it constantly overlaps the last damage type's number.

Alternatively, rather than spacing out every damage type icon equally, regardless of the number, use the width of the number as the space between icons. You can see in the screenshot that the icons are spaced evenly. This doesn't need to be the case. It's entirely possible to have 1 of one damage type and 20 of some other. The spacing of the icons could be based on the number.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Stryke

Stryke Member

Thanks for this, it's so much more readable now.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

My first Dredmor mod. Will give it a test run tomorrow, I think. :)

9. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

So good it should be a toggle in the game proper.

Turbo164 and OmniNegro like this.
  10. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I didn't like how light the krong panels were, so I darkened them up a little bit to make it easier to read the changes. Here are the two files, they go into the dungeons of dredmor\ui\gameplay directory. I have included the originals, I just put a zero and a space in front of the name. To install, unzip the files into the directory mentioned above. Hope everyone likes this. I know it looks better and easier to read to me.

Attached Files:

11. Stryke

Stryke Member

Would it be possible to get this wonderful mod on steam?

12. Glazed

Glazed Member

No because it requires altering core game graphics that can not be changed by a mod. Mods can only add things to the game, and only spells, monsters, skills, items, etc. They can't modify the UI.

13. Stryke

Stryke Member

Aw ok, thanks for letting me know.