BACKRONYM: (They Bleed) PIXELS

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lunix Vandal, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

Felt frustrated having not actually done anything Dredmor in so long. Thus. Coded in three hours at way-too-late-at-night (or way-too-early-in-the-morning, depending), I give you:
    UPDATED! Now with 100% more completed art and 75% fewer known issues.

UPDATED (AGAIN)! More issues fixed before they're reported on. Yay me. :p

3/9/14 UPDATED! With a new Dashing Strike rework that should feel significantly less wonky.

Perfect Initiation: Xenobiological Evisceration Lunging Strike (PIXELS),
    which adds Clawed Convert, a Warrior Toolkit/Turbocharger skill based on:
    1) Mobility,
    2) Flattening monsters with gob-tons of melee damage (stack Melee Power for best results), and
    3) Racking up large kill combos (that give successively larger buffs that promote #2).

Level 0: Dashing Strike. A "missile" that teleports you into an enemy's square and smacks them with your melee attack (and some bonus Slashing damage). The target "should" get knocked out of the tile afterward, unless you jumped on a blocker or into something with its back to the wall.
    Level 1: Double Jump. Knightly Leap on a longer cooldown; temporarily buffs your Dodge stat on landing (to help with getting into trouble).
    Level 2: Skyward Strike. Melee attack with bonus damage and a short but irresistable stun -- an excellent boss-killer.
    Level 3: Combo Initiate. Allows the player to build up to a Rank 7 kill combo. Getting kills will raise the power of your current combo, hitting enemies will refresh the duration (and give you the most basic version of the combo if none is currently active).
    Level 4: The Shrike's Passage. A variant Dashing Strike that costs MP, but has no cooldown. This one has higher bonus damage and a chance to ministun the target.
    Level 5: Exploding Sole Technique. Point-blank knockback, followed by an explosion centered roughly where the knockback target should land. Excellent for roughing up an entire roomful of enemies.
    Level 6: Combo Master. Allows the player to build the kill combo up to Rank 13.

0.1:
    Created.

0.5:
    All skilltree, skillbar, and buff icons added.
    Dashing Strike recoded to convert prior bug into "feature," with added knockback goodness.
    Exploding Sole Technique should now inflict its knockback more reliably. (Thanks Essence!)
    Skill renamed to better fit the fluff.

0.6:
    Removed a copy-paste artifact from Dashing Strike that was making it move a tile farther than intended. This should reduce the frequency of ending the dash inside enemies hit at the maximum range.

1.0:
    Applied SNEAKYTRICKS (TM) to Combo Initiate and Master:
    - Combos can now be started with a spellcasting kill.
    - You should always get proper combo-growth credit from multiple kills in one round.
    - Combo growth no longer "skips" Rank 7 once Combo Master is learned.
    Exploding Sole Technique skillbar art fixed.
    Exploding Sole Explosion graphics are no longer shifted a tile north of where they should have been.
    Skill released on Steam Workshop.

1.1:
    Changed skill from Rogue to Warrior. A (large) part of me still wishes that melee Rogues were a thing that was viable, but it is not meant to be (and Warrior fits the intended playstyle a bit better).
    All of the Combo targetHit and targetKill triggers had their names lengthened (lots o' whitespace) so as not to clutter the UI constantly.
    Refresh Combo proc moved to Level 3 -- you no longer start building 1-kill combos until you have access to Combo Initiate.
    Double Jump cooldown lowered to 14.
    Reworked Dashing Strike and Shrike's Passage (because faking being a rutabaga just wasn't working):
    - Both skills shanged to a single-target missile that knocks the target and teleports to its square
    - Dashing Strike damage changed to "Melee attack plus :dmg_slashing:(1+0.5:melee_power:),"
    - Shrike's Passage damage changed to "Melee attack plus :dmg_slashing:(5+:melee_power:)"
    - Dashing Strike cooldown lengthened to 40
    - Shrike's Passage has a 33% chance to stun for 1 turn
    - Shrike's Passage has no cooldown, but costs mana: 16 max, 8 min, savvyBonus 0.12 (generally a few points more than Xeuclid's except at very high or very low Savvy)

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Essence and Kazeto like this.
  2. Talow

Talow Member

Is it just me, or is the mod not loading?

There we go, now it's loading on my end.

3. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

Known issue #4: Lunix derped and zipped the mod folder from the wrong place. To fix, unzip the folder and ensure that the filestructure is mods/Pixels/mod and not mods/Pixels/Pixels/mod. Will be fixed in next release. :oops:

(Work continues on skill icons, update soonish.)

See first post.

4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Good lord, I wish I could get Knight of Rhy Bran working so I could use it with this.

also every time I see you, Lunix, I go "hey I know that guy from GitP" quietly to myself

Lunix Vandal likes this.
  5. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

I think it's a consequence of using a template-based teleport for the dash's movement -- the game doesn't check if the target tile is occupied. AFAIK Essence's Gangnam Style and Drunken Boxing random-movement skills (on which the dash is based) can do the same thing, but you're more likely to see it with the dash since it's intentionally triggered.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

Bump, double-post, what-have-you. Updated with more bugfixes and a release on Steam Workshop!

Kazeto and Daynab like this.
  7. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Playtesting this in little time.
    If you mind that, you could make a teleport which teleports you (so it reads) into each tile you dash on: walls can then block you, but you could put a pushback effect for every enemy in your path.

8. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

That's how it's already set up -- it's basically Essence's Gangnam Sideways Shuffle/Drunken Stagger iterated 3 1/2 times. ;)

Vitellozzo likes this.
  9. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Yep, I saw that you move aside mobs and make some jumps. Well done, the test character didn't last too much since Eyeballs' glazes (from ascii invasion) but it was cool with the combo system.
    :EDIT: doing another run by now. The first skill has one big problem: too many times it teleport you, on the final step, upon the tile where's your enemy, so you have to move aside to attack it, and by doing so you ge attacked first by him.
    There should be a way to push aside target on the final jump, if it's a problem caused by pushing straight on. Or there should be a lecturing preventing the final jump if going on a enemy.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  10. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

Updated (finally)! Skill reworks! Class change! INSANITY!
    [homestuck]
    CC: I'M SO –EXCIT–ED! 38D
    [/homestuck]
    *ahem*
    Enjoy.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  11. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Yeah, maybe warrior is better. You know, berserker style.