What games are you playing and why?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

True that, it's a good game. And one can win against people with only the rarest of cards while not having any such, with some strategy and some luck; that, in the world of card games, is not the most common thing and is appreciated.

Well, not that my win count or win percentage are all that great, seeing as I've only got a dozen victories which is 40-something percent of my matches ...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Nettle Soup and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Pretty accurate review of Goat Sim:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Scourge: Outbreak

No, I won't judge you if you've not heard of it. A remastering, an upgrade and a repackaging of a 2010-ish title called The Scourge Project, which was essentially a too-low budget cover-based shooter that had a bit of a thing for the design of Epic's Unreal Engine 3 titles (mostly Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War) with some pretty laughable voice acting and a dumb story (the special goo for powers is called Ambrosia... which is a brand of custard in the UK), but I guess it was - and still is - competent enough. But I got Outbreak for free as I had The Scourge Project, so hey, free game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Third in a row. Woot.

Eldritch
    Finished a run for the first time ever! It's a not-too-challenging procedural death labyrinth/FPS hybrid thing. It's really awesome, and probably sits in my top 3 PDL games without much hesitation (other two being Dredmor and Isaac). I found it quite hard once I got to the second 'world', but I changed my playstyle and I managed to get through to the end, not without some mad dashing, of course. There isn't actually a lot of content here - it works out, with the free expansion, to about five 3-level worlds and a hub - but it is really replayable and has a good OST. Plus the AI is stupid so it runs into spike pits. And the World 3 shopkeeper has a monocle.

[​IMG]

I believe this is also the first PDL I have ever reached the end of AND beaten.

eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
    NOW I know why these are called "bullet hell" games. I couldn't get past the first level.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. jadkni

jadkni Member

i'm a little late on the draw here, probably, but I've been playing Heroine's Quest and it's a thoroughly enjoyable throwback to QFG so far. Hate to speak badly of it as a backer, but I was more excited by what I've played of it so far than I was about that small Hero-U demo from awhile back. I think I've thoroughly screwed myself on this first run, but I'm looking forward to restarting, possibly trying something less mage-y next time. The world feels very alive, with each character given a portrait and full voice acting, and having a routine they follow. The attention to detail is just overall very impressive.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Factorio. Just look at those screens!

[​IMG]
    Automation level: Meh

[​IMG]
    Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

It's a game about automating things.

OmniaNigrum and Haldurson like this.
  7. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

Friend has been obsessing over Factorio, personally, I just went back to SpaceChem... I just couldn't get on with the controls.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. I'm playing the SotS: The Pit again. After the free mini-update last week, they followed with a super-cheap DLC (its 1.25). It adds a new character class (The Prester-Zuul Sheperd), and a smattering of new enemies, weapons, items, and crafting recipes.

Nothing that changes the game in a fundamental way like the Mindgames expansion, but since I'm addicted to their Rogue-like formula... back to the Pit I go!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm playing The Blackwell Epiphany, which is the final release in the series. I'm over two hours into it, and I'm really enjoying it, even if I get stuck every so often and it's a little bit moon logic-y at times. But yeah, I really think this is going to be the best in the series.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I'm really not into these types of games but for some reason this screenshot is extremely appealing to me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Just picked up "Endless Legend", an Early Access fantasy 4X game by Amplitude, the same people who made "Endless Space". It actually is looking pretty good so far. It seems to have a lot of similarities to Fallen Enchantress, and some noticeable relationships to "Endless Space" (dust, for example, is a thing).

Technology in the game is handled similarly but differently from how it was handled in Endless space -- you still have 4 separate tech specialties, but there's no actual tech tree. Instead, there are 6 (?) tech tiers, each divided up into the 4 specialities. At first you can research any tech within tier 1, regardless of which specialty it is from. Once you've researched enough tier 1 techs, tier 2 also opens up to you. I'm not sure exactly yet how it is determined when you've researched enough of tier 1, though. In my first game, tier 2 kind of opened up once I'd researched about half the tier 1 techs.

A lot of the game seems to be quest-driven, and from what I understand, many of the quests are geared towards whatever faction you are playing. Anyway, if you want to see a bit of what it looks like, here's this:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Well, I finished The Blackwell Epiphany last night (took maybe six-seven hours) and it was really good. So yeah.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. I got some enjoyment out of Endless Space, though combat quickly lost its novelty. Aren't they also working on an Endless Rogue-like? Or is that finished now?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Dungeons of the Endless -- yes. I don't think it's done yet but not sure what state its in (alpha or beta). They invited me to be a closed alpha a couple of months ago (woman friended me on Steam -- she said because I played Endless Space and had written a couple of guides). But I turned them down because it was a real-time tower defense/roguelike hybrid, and that didn't appeal to me. I didn't want to take up a spot from someone who would be more motivated to actually, you know, play-test it. I prefer my roguelikes turn-based, and I'm not at all into the tower defense genre. Granted, I've only tried one or two of them, but the whole concept didn't appeal to me.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Huh. Yeah, I like the turn-based "ponder" style far more. Pretty commendable that you didn't take a slot just to take the slot :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Prepare for a list...

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Okay, this is boring as sin sometimes, and it's really, really repetitive and annoying. But it is charming in its own way, and I like just playing it for 30mins or so. Once things start unlocking and developing I'm hoping it'll be better.
    Pokémon Y - oh god the constant battles eeeeeeeeuuuuuugggghhhhhh but like Animal Crossing it's charming in its own way, and once I get more/higher-level pokémon it should be a bit more fun. I hope.
    Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - I like winding Mooms up with this because it's out in the EU and Japan but not the US/Can, and as it's a 3DS title it's region locked. Tehe. But no, it's a really fun game.
    Crypt of the NecroDancer (Alpha) - Very hard procedural death labyrinth with a musical focus. It's got some great stuff going for it, and a lot of buzz has been building about it since last year - and having played it for an hour or so? It's justified.
    Croixleur Sigma - omg omg omg

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've been dabbling with the closed beta of "Sunless Sea", which I supported on kickstarter (yes, I probably have supported too many projects), and the newest 'Balpha (pre-beta) of "Dungeonmans". I don't think there's an NDA for "Sunless Sea", but I'm going to err on the side of caution and not talk too much about it. But I will say that "Dungeonmans" has been slowly getting better (maybe not as fast as I'd like) and more fleshed out, with better graphics, and so on. What was nice about the game was that even at the state it was in back during the free demo/alpha, it could be fun to play. My problem is, though, that I've probably played it too much in its early state that I'm finding it less of a novelty now and so I'm starting to tire of it a bit. I probably should take a break and not play it for a while (that's part of the danger of getting involved early in some games -- even if you like the game, you can grow tired of it before it's even released).

I'm Still playing ESO, or course, and looking forward to a lot of the promised changes and fixes and additions (they even mentioned freaking SPELLCRAFTING for goodness sake, something that was in Oblivion, but absent from Skyrim).

Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Re-visited Sir(or Madam), You Are Being Hunted, which just hit 1.0 and exited Early Access. It's a bloody brilliant game, and they've done everything they promised in the kickstarter (and are even working on some MP action, woot!). See, random Internets?! It can be done! A game can come out on Early Access and be done right. It's possible and here's proof!
    /endrant

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Godwin

Godwin Member

So is that a good omg omg omg, or a bad omg omg omg?
    I've been sort of keeping an eye on it.. might be fun?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Good 'omg omg omg'. It's kinda fanservicey and not ashamed of it, and it had me laughing. The controls are surprisingly good, too, though it's hard to get them set up perfectly.

OmniaNigrum and Godwin like this.