Dredmor iPad Port Official Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

We probably need one of these.

Exile likes this.
  2. TheBalrogKing

TheBalrogKing Member

Killing lord dredmor while taking a crap? GENIUS.

Mordewolt, Robsbot, Musaab and 2 others like this.
  3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Not that much of a priority in my book, due to not knowing anyone who uses an ipad.

4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I really don't know what to say. Like Banjo, I don't know anyone who owns an iPad.

On the other hand, I can't really think of a good reason not to.

Wait, yes I can. I imagine the work to convert the control system into something iPad friendly would be pretty steep. Also, Dredmor is much bigger in scope than any app driven game I've heard of before. Would it really sell enough to make the time investment worthwhile? What about mods? I'd look into it more, personally. [/twobits]

EDIT: Just checked the front page. Looks like it's already done! So my comments above are pretty much, "what about mods?" now. o_o

5. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

I've always viewed the iPad as a gaming platform (and nothing else), and this is a great idea! The big thing that sticks out to me is this: How do you ensure that you don't do stupid things, like tapping next to a mob instead of on them and running at them instead of attacking? Is there a left/right click type control? I'm not sure what I think of a roguelike without WASD controls and hotkeys though...

That said, I don't actually own an iPad (good god those things are pricey!), but I know many people that do. Hopefully I can poke one of them to DL and let me see.

6. ScrObot_

ScrObot_ Member

Apparently you've never met my friend, Mr. Laptop. ;)

7. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

Well I for one am very excited for this!
    While yes a laptop is portable, an IPad is much easier to haul around and pass time on than a laptop.
    Also an Ipad has a much larger audience to advertise the game to than the pc community for casual gamers in general. I'm not saying DoD is necessarily a casual gamers type of game, but rather it looks appealing to a casual audience due to graphics and humour.

I can guarantee one purchase right here! Hopefully I can pull some friends into getting this version also, a few came really close to getting the computer version but ohh well. :p

Some quick questions though:
    • Any idea of a price range?
    • Is there a predicted release date?
    • Mod support? :D

8. Quarky

Quarky Member

I like this!:)
    I've been expecting it for a while, but I'm glad my hopes were well-founded. I'll definitely get it, and I think I'll be able to get a few friends hooked too.
    Is it actually completely done already?

9. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I would love to have dungeons of dredmor on my Ipad!

10. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

I'm not a fan of iWhatever, but as Aquaman said - it opens the way for many potential players.

11. Despayre

Despayre Member

I'm buying it as soon as it hits the store. Any ETA? Is this the first build running on an ipad or a release build?:)

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This would be an ideal time to invest heavily in Ipads. They are about to go way up in prices as people discover such a wonderful game for them.

13. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

This is an insta-buy for me. Coincidentally, my girlfriend recently bought a new iPad for herself....and I am getting one soon as well. I think the touchscreen will mostly create a more relaxed playing environment instead of always having to sit at a desk. Managing your inventory should also be a lot easier now.

Speaking of which! The inventory could benefit from a "multiple select" option with the touch interface, for things like dropping on the ground, grinding, etc. :)

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

iPad only, or iPhone/iPod Touch too?

15. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I seriously doubt the screen on an iPod Touch (my wife has one) is nearly big enough to meaningfully play Dremor on.

More importantly, as an owner of a Kindle Fire, I'd like to say...well, you know what I'd like to say. :) That said, you guys are jawdroppingly amazing. Tagged: give the people what they want. That tells us basically everything we need to know about Gaslamp Games.

SkyMuffin and Marak like this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It'd require some UI adjustments, sure, but I think it could possibly work.

17. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

BTW, I am on record having told my wife while at her father's house on April First that I wanted to come home and do a post on the forums "leaking" the fact that DoD was coming out for the iPad. I had a huge complicated plan to make it sound really real, but then we got home at 12:01 on April 2nd.

When the blog post came out announcing the iPad version, i was like "They totally ripped of my idea!!" Then come to see Tagged: This is real.,and I was all like, "damn, I'm really REALLY glad we got home late. I would have felt like a total putz if that had happened."

Lulzy.

SkyMuffin and OmniNegro like this.
  18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think it would've actually been a fine joke, Essence. Because most people would expect the announcement from GLG to be a joke as well if you did that.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If it were not GLG, I would still think this was a joke. But they are too cool to *Expletive Deleted* us like that. :)

SkyMuffin likes this.
  20. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Android people: what are you actually developing on?

Exile likes this.